Author Topic: What pro bassists actually played a Gibson EB0 back in the day?  (Read 9524 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: What pro bassists actually played a Gibson EB0 back in the day?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 12:13:05 PM »
As opposed to the Epi EB-O.  I had one for one day and sent it back to MF.  The intonation was horrible (although that could have been fixed,) but the neck dive was way worse than I was expecting.

I also had an Epi and like the 60's Gibson better.  Strange about the balance, because the Epi body was thicker...their neck must have been much heavier. There have been at least two generations o the Epi, made in different places.  IIRC the earlier versions were a bit lighter and better balanced than the later series.

I had an Epi EB-3 and it was the worst neck diver I've ever had.  In addition, the way the small body hung on me shifted the neck out to the left and I had trouble reaching the lower frets on the neck.  Loved the look of that bass but sold it immediately and swore never to own another SG-body bass that was more than 30" scale.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
I wouldn't mind having an Allen Woody Rumblekat, though.  Except for just a hundred dollars more you can get a bass that's quite a bit better.  Of course, this really has nothing to do with EB-Os or EB-3s I suppose. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »
graham simpson played an eb0 with plastic pickup cover on the first roxy music lp.
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »
I wouldn't mind having an Allen Woody Rumblekat, though.  Except for just a hundred dollars more you can get a bass that's quite a bit better.  Of course, this really has nothing to do with EB-Os or EB-3s I suppose.

Somehow the Rumblekat has always felt like a toy to me. The (light) weight and the thin / airy sounding pickups just don't make it feel like a real bad ass bass...
I hardly ever use it.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 03:57:05 AM »
The bass player in Juicy Lucy used a modified EB-0 or EB-0F in their Paul Williams era.
Added pickup under the handrest, I think..

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:51 AM »
Somehow the Rumblekat has always felt like a toy to me. The (light) weight and the thin / airy sounding pickups just don't make it feel like a real bad ass bass...
I hardly ever use it.

That's pretty much what Jack Bruce said about the Gibson EB-3 when he tried one out for the reunion shows.  But he did well with one the first time around.  I think it's an understandable attitude to have for someone who is used to a more substantial bass. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »

The "unfortunately named" John Glascock with an EB-0

Glassy cock or not, he got to bang the singer :)

(not the bearded one)

Got both their albums, uneven maybe but there is great moments in them.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:45 PM »
That's pretty much what Jack Bruce said about the Gibson EB-3 when he tried one out for the reunion shows.  But he did well with one the first time around.  I think it's an understandable attitude to have for someone who is used to a more substantial bass.

Yeah, after playing a heavy Wankwick for years I can understand how he felt. The EB-1 he chose is more substantial feeling than an EB0/EB-3.

The Rumblekat OTOH is semihollow and is even less substantial than it looks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
Yeah, after playing a heavy Wankwick for years I can understand how he felt. The EB-1 he chose is more substantial feeling than an EB0/EB-3.

The Rumblekat OTOH is semihollow and is even less substantial than it looks.  I'm assuming most have seen this, but maybe not all. 

Jack talks about the EB-1 at 1:40 or so.  I suppose most have already seen this, but maybe not all. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 11:34:40 AM »
Glassy cock or not, he got to bang the singer :)

(not the bearded one)

Got both their albums, uneven maybe but there is great moments in them.

Pah, I have all three. 8) Absolutely underrated and totally orignal band.

Angela Allen and John G. were indeed an item. His memory seems to have stuck with her.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
Three? did I miss something?

Is info available on the internet? :mrgreen: 

I´ll have to do more searching, then....

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
Yeah, I have that interview with Jack Bruce on one of his DVDs, where he said he did not care for the short scale EB-3 and wanted a wider range of tones...! Uhh...all the while he is holding the short scale EB( original '50's version not the '69 also short scal and mudbucker). 
Yes , I do too love my '69 EB-0 and these days as i get on in years is sooo comfortable to play and even don't mind the mudbucker.. I actually have entertained the idea of putting in the 'fake' TB+ that is found on the SG basses for some interesting tone balance...but never pressed the button yet on that.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
Danko sounded great on his slot head. That dude had soul. Copacetic, you could check out some of Curtis Novak's pickups if you're looking for options other than the TB+
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Three? did I miss something?

Is info available on the internet? :mrgreen: 

I´ll have to do more searching, then....

http://www.angelair.co.uk/?tcp_product=carmen-the-gypsieswidescreen

"The Gypsies" is worth having too, less progish/outlandish than the predecessor albums, record company wanted them to be more accessible, but they were still different enough. More songs you can hum on that last album.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
Louder bass!.