Author Topic: So I bought a Gibson bass again  (Read 19923 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: So I bought a Gibson bass again
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »
Unless you play reggae, I can't see the point of the tone control on a gibson bass :)

I'm guessing three volumes.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 08:12:27 AM »
That's the bass I found for him in San Antonio. Remember that from back in  the Pit days? It was a nice cherry EB-0L with one insignificant flaw, a bullet hole through the neck that also caused a lengthwise split. When Uwe had his luthier repair it, he had the poor thing refinished, no doubt against its will.  ;)

Is this how I am thanked for this selfless Lazarus-type resurrection?!  :mrgreen:

Tone contr-WWWHHHAAAT?  :o I don't even use that on active basses, at least not the treble one. I'm a full-on guy and with "gunshot baby" the choice of pup determines how bright my sound is. It's three volumes, right.

I'm sure there are people who can work with a passive tone control effectively - it's a precious gift that unfortunately totally escapes me to this day. If I play a bright sounding bass like, say, a Ric, I have no desire to take that characteristic away from it. I'd rather switch basses then.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:17:44 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
agreed about passive tone...

I have started to control tone with the pups...

I generally like a 2 pickup bass, and slightly back off the bass pickup, so the bridge dominates.  If I need darker I increase the bass pickup volume.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2019, 09:17:03 AM »
The only basses I use tone control on are maple board Fenders. Full on for the gnarly sound and 1/4 off for a more rosewood-ish sound.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »
Is this how I am thanked for this selfless Lazarus-type resurrection?!  :mrgreen:

Tone contr-WWWHHHAAAT?  :o I don't even use that on active basses, at least not the treble one. I'm a full-on guy and with "gunshot baby" the choice of pup determines how bright my sound is. It's three volumes, right.

I'm sure there are people who can work with a passive tone control effectively - it's a precious gift that unfortunately totally escapes me to this day. If I play a bright sounding bass like, say, a Ric, I have no desire to take that characteristic away from it. I'd rather switch basses then.

I do remember that find very well.  Uwe do you have a "before" photo?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
About tone knobs on an EB....

When I installed the mudbucker on this EB-0 (the Dimarzio was already there) I made the executive level decision that a tone knob would be useless. No one needs to roll off treble on either of these pickups.

So I just made each pot a volume control.  Works great!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 02:00:45 PM »
I do remember that find very well.  Uwe do you have a "before" photo?

I have these.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »

I remember showing Jason (the seller) a pic after the restoration. Too bad I didn't have a smartphone to capture the look on his face.  :)   He was happy though, since he got his investment back.

Passive tone controls are useful to me, even with a mudbucker. Volume and tone controls do interact.

"gunshot baby"  Bob Seger song, right?  :mrgreen:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 05:08:38 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!
I had forgotten how bad it was.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
Well, since we're celebrating the EB-0 as well as Uwe's minimalist tendencies in restoring one, I will post my battle-scarred addition - a '68 that was originally cherry, but was "refinished" as you see here (except the headstock, where the cherry begins rather abruptly). I picked it up dirt cheap some years back and am planning a Supertone 2 bridge upgrade and the addition of a chrome TB+ in the bridge position. The headstock has a crack, but I ran some CYA into it and it seems to be relatively stable.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 07:33:25 AM »
Looks great!

"Minimalist tendencies in restoring ...." , yup, that's me, sums me up. 8) I hate to be invasive unless The Netherlands are concerned.

And to all you NRAists out there: Indisputably, the US of A has the highest rate of gunshot wounds inflicted on unsuspecting EB-OL necks. Statistics don't lie, so there!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 07:52:18 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 10:11:37 AM »
This wasn't just in the USA; this was in Texas.  I'm not sure if any further explanation is even needed 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 10:55:30 AM »
Looks great!

"Minimalist tendencies in restoring ...." , yup, that's me, sums me up. 8) I hate to be invasive unless The Netherlands are concerned.

And to all you NRAists out there: Indisputably, the US of A has the highest rate of gunshot wounds inflicted on unsuspecting EB-OL necks. Statistics don't lie, so there!

They do have a habit of jumping into the line of fire.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »
The bass was sitting on a stand on stage when a fight broke out in the crowd. It was an innocent bystander.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 12:06:54 AM »
That story somehow isn't surprising. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal