Author Topic: Bass on Ravel's Bolero  (Read 5144 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Bass on Ravel's Bolero
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 10:29:46 AM »
He hasn't mentioned Rush in a long time, but I'm sure he still does.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 10:25:05 AM »
The movie Amadeus has a special place in our family. It was playing on TV the night our first daughter was born, and about the time it finished my wife said "Time to go..."

She won't forget it, that's for sure.
I was watching the Teddy Pendergrass documentary on Showtime before this one was born.

Sadly my wife didn't watch it with me but I don't know if it would have been that memorable either way. I highly recommend it if you can find it. As far as boleros go, I think Beck has Ravel beat and that goes the same for Ronnie Woods bass line. Or maybe it was Page that wrote it and JPJ on the bass? At least that's what some are claiming on the comments section here.

Much better than Rush as well.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 03:47:57 AM »
I just never got Rush. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 07:38:28 AM »
There is something frenzied, feverish, inspirational in his music - there is a lot going on -, I don't hear that in Beethoven. And Salieri (you're right, his music was rediscovered due to the movie) I like, but compared to Mozart his music is very much like a skilled and tutored math equation. That's not knocking him, Rush built a career on that!  :mrgreen:

Salieri had some nice moments. Bela Fleck and Chris Thile showcased some of his work quite beautifully.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_y1Lfs2--c&list=OLAK5uy_nFRznz9q5ED2yE1aFgl-8gETfxypEAG_A&index=15&t=0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ych7SiJ1pjg&list=OLAK5uy_nFRznz9q5ED2yE1aFgl-8gETfxypEAG_A&index=2&t=0s

*edit my mistake Scarlatti and Salieri are not the same guy. They aren't even composers of the same genre, Scarlatti being baroque and Salieri being classical. Excuse my carelessness. Never the less, still nice work by Thile and Fleck.

By the way, the baby's name is Ruby Joella. After my father's passing I wanted to honor his memory in my daughter's name. He was Joseph and we wanted something other than Josephine. My wife wanted to pick Jolene but the association with the Dolly Parton song was too strong for me. (there's also a completely different song by Ray Lamontagne by the same name) Coupled with the first name which is also a Kenny Rogers song it was a bad combo of connotations of a woman who not only cheats on her wounded warrior husband but also steals another woman's man to boot. So Joella was a compromise we both liked. Here's another great country song about a Ruby. I'm hoping my girl will get better gigs than the holiday inn.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:44:48 AM by 4stringer77 »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
I always identified Ruby with this song here (didn't hear the Kenny Rogers song until many years later). I also heard the Melanie version long before I realized that it is a Jagger/Richards composition, I think Melanie made it her own, bum notes and all.

Since then, I always liked the name Ruby, good choice!

And then, in the 80ies, the Kenny Rogers song made a surprise return with Gary Holton (ex-Heavy Metal Kids and Johnny Rotten-role model with his cockney sneer):

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
Carmen McRae did a nice job on this Thelonious Monk song in her later years.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »
Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town was written by Mel Tillis, although I don't think he sang it in public until after it became famous. It was a big country hit for Johnny Darrell a couple of years before the Kenny/First Edition version.

Let's not forget Dion. Note the Eko 995 bass.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
Trying to slip this in here ...

... but not in any way insinuating that 4stringer77's daughter is named after the assumed surname of one of the more colorful figures of 20th century US history.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 09:06:43 PM »

... but not in any way insinuating that 4stringer77's daughter is named after the assumed surname of one of the more colorful figures of 20th century US history.

Immortalized in the Killer Vintage Guitars' Hazard Ware Ozzie Oswald Tee.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 07:27:53 AM »
Jack Ruby was not a factor in our name choice.

Many people might associate the name with the Kaiser Chiefs song Ruby. It's not the first thing I think of but then again I'm not as hip to the stuff kids like these days.

Some fine picking by the Osborne bros. here. Maybe I'll teach her how to play banjo. When I call her Ruby Jo my wife gets mad so the banjo idea would probably make her really blow her top.  ;D