Author Topic: The Scots and "Britishness"...  (Read 2386 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: The Scots and "Britishness"...
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 09:24:15 PM »
Yup. After 13 years in Texas I can tell at least four different accents attributable to various regions of Texas.  I'll bet Sniper could do better than that.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2014, 10:24:13 PM »
Yup. After 13 years in Texas I can tell at least four different accents attributable to various regions of Texas.  I'll bet Sniper could do better than that.

I've noticed that Texas has accents which differ widely from each other, too.  But I've only been there a few times and only have a general idea of all that's happening.  Back to the topic, though, there is really nothing at all that can match the Irish and Scottish pronunciation of English.  I tend to lean toward things Celtic anyway.  It still bothers me a little that Julius Caesar defeated Vercingetorix.  History is written by the victors, but not everyone has to agree with that or like it. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:54:58 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 04:43:09 AM »
WTF is opiniona?  Wish there was spell check on here  ;D

If you use the Firefox browser all your spellings will be checked.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:51 AM »
"Kaiser Bill" - popular chap in German folklore - his mum was called Victoria and her mum was our Queen Victoria ...

Please do not omit how Little Bill's underdeveloped left arm (damaged during birth) was - at the behest of his grandmother and her royal medics - subjected to growth-enticing treatment via electrocution, forcing the screaming child to stick his crippled arm in the still warm bodies of freshly slaughtered hares and horses ("fresh cell cure") and tying the healthy arm to his back to force him using the underdeveloped one.

Little Wilhelm ironically always identified his years in England with oppression.

"'Ere's my Brit granny covering up me bad arm!"
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 01:25:17 PM »
All that in-bred-ness ...

Dad always used to say "not my national anthem..." Check out verse six and wonder why the Scots love the English so...

Probably the most popular Scottish anthem ... ah ... and sung with feeling ...

I bought the original as a 45 for my dad back in the 70's - I still have it, but only after he moved on ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »
Nothing that might never happen in the 'States ... ?

USofA animal statues
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 05:48:33 PM »

Huge difference, to me anyway, between east and west Texas.  Panhandle is unique as well as is the valley.  But you overlooked the east Texas sub group - the golden triangle area closest to south Louisiana - the east Texas drawl cross pollinates with cajun - not nearly as hard to understand as true cajuns but might close ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:58 PM »
With that deep east Texas group, just keep counting the syllables.  The more you hear, the closer to Loo-zeeanna.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 06:33:02 PM »
With that deep east Texas group, just keep counting the syllables.  The more you hear, the closer to Loo-zeeanna.

Then when you get into Louisiana itself, actually into New Orleans itself, you'll encounter the "Yat" accent.  Like nothing else in the country, except for maybe parts of New York City (something which, of course, I've already noted on other threads.)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:40:10 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal