Author Topic: Billy Joe smashes his Gibson  (Read 9212 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Billy Joe smashes his Gibson
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
No doubt another band I don't know much about. :)

A band I don't know much about is Green Day themselves.  I've only listened to a few of their songs.  I suppose I must have been wrong, but I didn't realize they ever took themselves seriously.  I thought they were just trying to have fun.  Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
A band I don't know much about is Green Day themselves.  I've only listened to a few of their songs.  I suppose I must have been wrong, but I didn't realize they ever took themselves seriously.  I thought they were just trying to have fun. 

They've got one good song.  Good enough to make 27 different versions of it.   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
They've got one good song.  Good enough to make 27 different versions of it.   :mrgreen:

I'm going to have to say I honestly don't know enough about Green Day to know what you mean, unless you're saying most of their songs sound the same.  Since they're labeled punk--even though it seems most people don't think they really are--I've stayed away from their music.  Pretty much the same as I stay away from most punk/punk-related music.  I've listened to three songs by them--the American girl song, the September song, and one other song that I don't know the title of.  I know they're known for doing an album called American Idiot, but I've never listened to it.   
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
I was in college when Green Day first started - never got into them. This is the only song I remember from that time:

Sorry about the ad at the beginning. Hey - it has a Gibson bass in it! That should make it worth the wait. I remember them being pelted by mud at Woodstock II, I remember Billie Joe whatsisname getting kind of fat and lame in the late '90s, American Idiot isn't bad but they seem to have fallen back into the formulaic...

I really like No Doubt though! Love this performance, especially when she marches across Dave's desk! I think I saw it when it was originally aired - now I'm feeling old and nostalgic...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
Billy Joe could have learned something from a Billy Joel lyric:

They turned our power down,
And drove us underground-
But we went right on with the show...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy