Author Topic: The World's 25 Highest-Paid Musicians  (Read 5773 times)

Chaser001

Re: The World's 25 Highest-Paid Musicians
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:32 AM »
I continue to be baffled by the appeal of the DMB. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
Ha ha! Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on an island on Lake Erie Thursday, Friday, Saturday getting paid to play music.  :mrgreen: Got home yesterday...

Anyway, I like Adam Clayton! That is all....

PS - no surprise about Matthews here. They've been a customer of mine at the case shop since like '99. EVERY summer, big tour, big money. They're finally going easy this year with just a handful of dates.

Yeah, I like Clayton, he services the song and I like U2 in general.  Though not as much as I do Joy Division.  BTW Uwe, some of us 'wops' prefer Guineau (Ginnie), Ginzo, Greaseball, Guido or Dago.  What about you Krauts?  Fritz is about the only thing I can come up with.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
You forgot "Huns"! And "Jerry" though that is very Brit. "Fritz" is WW I (as "Friedrich" was a popular German name then), "Kraut" is self-explanatory though it's mostly a Southern German dish, Jerry is a play on "JGerman" I believe and "Hun" is self-inflicted because when the German Expeditionary Force was sent to China during the Boxer Revolt, the Kaiser told them to "act like the Huns" (China's archenemy over centuries) there, it came to haunt him. I sometimes think that "Huns" is probably additionally also a play on words for "Hans", another popular German first name in earlier decades.

"Boche" is another one, used by the French.

Where did "wops" come from btw? All the other ethnic slurs for Italians you listed are pretty much self-explanatory (and not that vicious IMHO).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 12:46:36 PM »

WOP =  With Out Papers 

As in showing up on the U.S. shore without yours!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 12:57:47 PM »
che strunze

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 01:18:25 PM »

WOP =  With Out Papers 

Yeah, I'm aware of that.  I have the ship's manifest with my grandfather's name (Cataldo Patti), age (24) and profession (barbiere), ditto for my grandmother when she arrived a few years later and my father's birth certificate... you?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »

WOP =  With Out Papers 

I'm well aware of that.  I have the ship's manifest with my grandfather's name (Cataldo Patti), age (24), profession (barbiere) and how much money he had on arrival ($4).  Ditto my nona when she arrived 4 years later.  A lot more than the early Squareheads ( I knew there was one I forgot) had when they came.

Bravo, Frankie.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 01:37:29 PM »

I'm 1/4 Italian on my father's side, my great grandmother made the trip, I'm a bit ashamed I don't know more - likely because at this point only my mother is alive, she's German, having come to the U.S. in 1952 after surviving the war. Every now and then she'll tell me a story about growing up in Nazi Germany or the aftermath of the war........The U.S. occupation of Germany was not kind.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 01:47:17 PM »
Hey, Mark, you're one of us.  Robert DeNiro is only 1/4 Italian. ;D
As far as the occupation being harsh, it's what the US does.  I do know there was a feeling the German public knew what was happening more than they let on.  My father was involved in the liberation of Buchenwald.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:53:03 PM by dadagoboi »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 02:09:59 PM »

I think my "Italian" is all in my hairiness....... I'm always fighting that battle  ;)

And I think you're right about the German public Carlo, what's ignored and forgotten is that somewhere between 750,00 and 900,000 German P.O.W.s  and  civilians died postwar in U.S. and French camps that were no better than what was just liberated, a completely preventable tragedy. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »
Britain was still rationing food long after the war ended  (9 years?) and German POWs were treated better in the south of the US than black GIs.  No matter the neglect P.O.W.s may have been subjected to in the west, it can hardly be compared to the Reich's final solution.  Much different story in the east.

Earlier in the war my dad was also involved in the care of Italian and German P.O.W.s in North Africa ('43).  Had 3 Italian barbers working for him.  THAT he enjoyed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:31:57 PM by dadagoboi »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
'the u.s occupation of germany was not kind.' nor should it have been. jeez.... :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 03:06:42 PM »
'the u.s occupation of germany was not kind.' nor should it have been. jeez.... :rolleyes:

That said, the German Army, followed closely by the Italian,  is considered the most professional of the "Coalition" in their treatment of Afghan civilians.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
different time and place. apparently germany learned something from ww2.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:09 PM »
different time and place. apparently germany learned something from ww2.

Yes, it looks like they did...but they're part of that 'Old Europe'.