Author Topic: The World's 25 Highest-Paid Musicians  (Read 5772 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
The World's 25 Highest-Paid Musicians
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »
Most are probably predictable, but there are some cool guitars and basses to be seen in the pics. I had no idea Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers still did so well.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eeel45ehmg/the-worlds-25-highest-paid-musicians?partner=yahoomusic
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

nofi

• View Profile
Re: The World's 25 Highest-Paid Musicians
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 05:20:01 AM »
how do you figure out what a band is worth. those figures seem low for some people. i remember back in the mid eighties macca was worth around 200 million according to whatever news source i got the info from. a quick google search put his current net worth anywhere from 800 million to 1.6 billion dollars. that seems more realistic imho.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:26:33 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 05:29:31 AM »
These are what these artists earned last year. I assume Macca didn't tour as much last year as he did in the eighties.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 05:43:20 AM »
It looks to me that a lot of the ranking is based on gross tour sales.   I think that translates to high ticket prices and merchandise sales at the shows.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 07:34:35 AM »
Yup, to see Petty (and Dave Matthews) up there surprised me as well. And Bon Jovi still at No 2, never the most talented or original US band at any point of their career and now a good 25 years past the time when their music was en vogue ... You got to give it to the little wop from New Jersey, he has sustained a career.

And U2 - well that is no surprise, but I had to mention them because how else could we address the issue that Adam Clayton is not a very good bassist?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now all we have to do is wait, until Herr Heslin comes up with his usual little Adam C. defense speech!   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:41:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
It includes non-music earnings. I just scanned through it but I noticed it said only 20% of Sean Combs earnings came from music and it mentions Toby Keith's earnings from his Ford endorsement and his restaurants.

Chaser001

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:35 AM »
Whatever happened to the public's taste in music?  With very few exceptions, this list is horrible.  As for U2, their problem is that they actually believed the hype about them. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:04:55 AM by Chaser001 »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
At least they write bad musicals I hear.

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »
Thanks god for giving us AC/DC..

Back in topic, a lot of those people are completely unknown outside of USA and still earns a truckload of pesos, incredible.

Chaser001

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
At least they write bad musicals I hear.

I had to hear all about that Spiderman musical because they had the TV on at the chiropractor's office and I was part of a captive audience.  The only thing worse was several years ago when I was in the lobby of a doctor's office and they were televising the trial of a serial killer. 

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:57:29 PM »
People still pay to hear Elton John  :o
I wonder why.

DaveW: Yeah. The headline should be  "Top earning" or something. I would sort of like to know who makes more money making music, but I suppose that is like trying to figure out which car has the most American parts.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:04:33 PM by Bargeon »
Dyslexics untie!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
The U2 pic shows Mr Clayton playing a reverse Explorer...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
That's hus signature Warwick, basically a warwick Stryker turned upside down. Nicely made bass - I played one at Messe - and hollow in part (the horn to save weight), but the split coil ruins it for me visually. 'Pensive too.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
No surprise there then...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 08:53:52 AM »
Yup, to see Petty (and Dave Matthews) up there surprised me as well. And Bon Jovi still at No 2, never the most talented or original US band at any point of their career and now a good 25 years past the time when their music was en vogue ... You got to give it to the little wop from New Jersey, he has sustained a career.

And U2 - well that is no surprise, but I had to mention them because how else could we address the issue that Adam Clayton is not a very good bassist?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now all we have to do is wait, until Herr Heslin comes up with his usual little Adam C. defense speech!   :popcorn:

Ha ha! Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on an island on Lake Erie Thursday, Friday, Saturday getting paid to play music.  :mrgreen: Got home yesterday...

Anyway, I like Adam Clayton! That is all....

PS - no surprise about Matthews here. They've been a customer of mine at the case shop since like '99. EVERY summer, big tour, big money. They're finally going easy this year with just a handful of dates.