Author Topic: Consumer Reports car reliability survey results  (Read 1348 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Consumer Reports car reliability survey results
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20111026/BUSINESS01/111025063

What I find intersting is how far the Korean Companies have come in such a short time. Ford really dropped. VW is doing a lot better.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Consumer Reports car reliability survey results
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:20:46 AM »
http://www.freep.com/article/20111026/BUSINESS01/111025063

What I find intersting is how far the Korean Companies have come in such a short time. Ford really dropped. VW is doing a lot better.

Ford dropped mainly due to problems with their integrated electronics package that shows a bunch of crap on a touch screen.  Serves them right. 

It's pretty scary when FIAT (Chrysler) is making the highest ranked 'American' cars.  Viva Italia!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:21 AM »
I wouldn't trust CR on anything, especially on cars. These are the people who deliberately rigged the Suzuki Samurai test.

The Korean cars have come a long way, though. A friend who owned an early Hyundai used to say that the difference between a Hyundai and a Jehovah's Witness was that you can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness. It's not that way at all now. But I'd still rather have a Ford.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:34:33 AM »
I remember when Hyundai first came over here.  Early '80s?  I looked at one of their cars.  Really low quality.  Things like carpet and hub caps were options, and not standard.  A friend of mine has a new Sante Fe, and it's a really nice car.  Hyundai also has, I believe, the world's most state of the art production facility running right here in the States.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:43:50 AM »
I remember when Hyundai first came over here.  Early '80s?  I looked at one of their cars.  Really low quality.  Things like carpet and hub caps were options, and not standard.  A friend of mine has a new Sante Fe, and it's a really nice car.  Hyundai also has, I believe, the world's most state of the art production facility running right here in the States.

Cost $12k in the late '90s.  The Yugo of the era.  It really is amazing they didn't go under but they're an outstanding value now.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:45:37 AM »
Wasn't the Yugo really an older Fiat model made in Yugoslavia? Or am I remembering wrong?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:49:42 AM »
Wasn't the Yugo really an older Fiat model made in Yugoslavia? Or am I remembering wrong?

Yes, a 124.  They just shipped all the tooling to Yugoslavia and the Yugoslavs continued the Italian faith based rust prevention technique and cut some other corners.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
I'm convinced that there is considerable user bias in the way people report car repairs and problems to CR.  When they have a US made car, many of them expect it to be a POS, so they report every flat tire and bad wiper blade as a repair.  When they drive a BMW or Volvo, they tend to overlook lesser issues with their "fine yurropeen machine" that they would report as substantial repairs otherwise.

I have owned two cars that CR would think cause cancer and nuclear war (1977 Monza Spyder and 1981 Citation), and both of them served very well.  The Monza was in my family for 25 years.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
I'm convinced that there is considerable user bias in the way people report car repairs and problems to CR.  When they have a US made car, many of them expect it to be a POS, so they report every flat tire and bad wiper blade as a repair.  When they drive a BMW or Volvo, they tend to overlook lesser issues with their "fine yurropeen machine" that they would report as substantial repairs otherwise.

I have owned two cars that CR would think cause cancer and nuclear war (1977 Monza Spyder and 1981 Citation), and both of them served very well.  The Monza was in my family for 25 years.
I agree, try telling people their Range Rover's a POS.  People who buy a high end Euro car (or even a Honda, ever seen their recommended maintenance schedule?) are more likely to have it serviced and only keep it for a few years.  OTH a Chevy is just supposed to run, period.  The Monza was a basically a Vega.  I owned 3 of those: a coupe, a SW and a panel wagon, they definitely had design flaws.  The cars and parts were cheap, they were easy to fix and you could fit a lot of gear in the panel or station wagon.  Along with them the X body cars are considered some of GM's worst.  But in a lot of cases bad owners make bad cars by not taking care of them.  Looks like your family knows how to take care of stuff.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »
I've got a 2002 Saturn Vue, and I've done the routine maintenance religiously for 170K miles.  It's had a few smaller problems, but the powertrain is solid.  My oil consumption is zip, and my mileage is pretty much the same as it was the day I got it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:36 AM »
My brother owned a Camry that was a POS. We rented a a Hyundia a few years back on a business trip & the trunk would not shut, so the guy I work with, tried slamming it shut, that did not work but the trunk lid deformed from the slamming. The sheet metal was paper thin.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:29:20 AM by Barklessdog »

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
We're pretty happy being a 2 car Mazda family.  Both our CX-9 and Mazda3 have been great cars.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 03:32:41 PM »

Subaru is the only car I'll ever own.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:09:10 AM »
I'm still driving the '97 Thunderbird they wanted to give me $500 for on trade in when I bought my Mustang 4 years ago.  ;D Great "beater" for winter. In fact, I'm going to brave one more winter with it. The Mustang hasn't had any problems whatsoever. And a 2000 Explorer gets me to most gigs. PS - yes, it is pure coincidence that they all have guitar names.  ;)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
I've got a 2002 Saturn SC2 with 150K miles...burns a little oil, but I just check it often and top off...get it changed every 3000 miles.  Been a good car.

I buy 'em used and drive 'em to death.