Author Topic: Wish I was a rich man ( Guild Starfire bass )  (Read 4379 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Wish I was a rich man ( Guild Starfire bass )
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 12:48:38 AM »
Mighty purty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 05:55:45 PM »
  I know I'm gunna piss some one off but ..................Several years ago I bought a '67 Starfire II for 200 bucks, some hack had painted it white with a brush. I stripped it  and gave it a few coats of clear laquer, I thought I was going to love this thing. Turned out the bass was not for me. I sold it for way, way more than I paid for it. I don't miss it and would not buy another......................................unless I could flip it   ;)
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
My long term proj is a broom painted red '67 starfire II.Im hoping to make it green .......No stones yet on the stain. Im gonna have to like this one even if I dont :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
  I know I'm gunna piss some one off but ..................Several years ago I bought a '67 Starfire II for 200 bucks, some hack had painted it white with a brush. I stripped it  and gave it a few coats of clear laquer, I thought I was going to love this thing. Turned out the bass was not for me. I sold it for way, way more than I paid for it. I don't miss it and would not buy another......................................unless I could flip it   ;)

Nah, I know where your comin' from. I would never buy one expecting it to become my main instrument. But basses like this are great to get extra inspiration in certain songs and just plain fun for a complete change, when needed.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
All a matter of taste, no need to explain it or apologize for it.

Never cared much for the tone of Starfires and especially not with the single coil (Hagstrom) pickup. And despite some revisionist history, Guild basses were never really popular. Yet look at the success of Fred Hammon's Dark Stars -- small scale success, but he's definitely shown there's a market for that tone.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
Your right Dave,  I admire Fred for bringing that pickup back to life. The Starefire platform was more not to my taste than the pups, much like EB2s. I love mudbuckers an mini buckers but the Eb2 bass itself is not for me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Fred Hammon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 03:05:59 AM »
Your right Dave,  I admire Fred for bringing that pickup back to life. The Starefire platform was more not to my taste than the pups, much like EB2s. I love mudbuckers an mini buckers but the Eb2 bass itself is not for me.
Thanks for the compliment but I hope you are not confusing the sound of Bi-Sonic or even Dark Star pickups with the Gibson "side-winders".
It's worse than the apple/orange comparison. It's more like salmon and cheeseburgers.
I love them both...but not on the same plate.
The same goes for EB-2s and Starfires. They may look similar but that's where it ends.

BTW for a good example of the EB-2 sound although it may be a vintage Epi, I don't remember, but do a Youtube search on Chris Solberg's (MARICOPPA) band "the Rave Ups". I think the bass player is playing one of Chris's basses.
Never mind. Here's the search link. Maricoppa is playing guitar:
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=the+raveups&search_type=&aq=f

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 04:12:23 AM »
Welcome Fred it's been a long time.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:36:16 PM »
Good to see you here, Fred!

Time for a Darkstar thread?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »
Is that Steve from dude pit in the background?I love mu Bach Tele bass with the DS pup. Im excited to work on my StarfireII restore again .I got a pair waitin on the bench .
I drooled bad when I saw this greenie
:mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 04:03:31 PM »
 Hey Fred welcome ! Good to see you here !

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:06 AM »

Oh my gosh, I did the same thing Scott!  I think it was about 3 years ago!  I paid about $700 for one that had been stripped and varnished with a brush, really ugly.  After stripping it and doing a hand applied oil finish, I tried to love it but I couldn't.  It was one of those with the single pup mounted close to the bridge and I could never get the tone out of it that I wanted.  I flipped it for a nice profit, but I would love to try one with the neck mounted pup.  I suspect it would have been more to my liking.

I'll add a pic when I get home.

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Hey Fred welcome ! Good to see you here !

Ditto Fred!  Welcome to our little piece of the net.  We should definitely have some Guild chats here.  Several of us are working on Guild projects.  Your DS pups will end up in mine.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Fred Hammon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 01:38:57 AM »
I love this video.
Check out Jack's solo near the end about 2/3s thru:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fisrdbYOdtY