Author Topic: Acoustic 370 find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 6072 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Acoustic 370 find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
 Making the rounds today stopped by one of my favorite local shops they had a Acoustic 370 on the floor ! Seems to be in perfect working order and pretty clean. I am not much for SS stuff but I thought this would be cool for our Zep tribute show, yeah I know JPJ used a 360 now all I need is a cab for this thing !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Acoustic 370 find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:26:04 PM »
I am not much for SS stuff but I thought this would be cool for our Zep tribute show, yeah I know JPJ used a 360 now all I need is a cab for this thing !

I'm proud to be in the company of guys whose powers of rationalization equal or exceed my own!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »
Bass Emporium has an Acoustic cab, here in Austin. Not the historically correct one but, there ya have it..
Fleet Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
 Working on one in Ohio. Still thinking about the 2150. I need a bigger garage.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:23:13 PM »
I'm proud to be in the company of guys whose powers of rationalization equal or exceed my own!

+100.

I think my hernia just acted up.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
+100.

I think my hernia just acted up.....

a warning of things to come, m'friend......   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
IIRC, the 370 is the standalone head of the 360, which was a preamp with the power amp mounted inside the speaker cabinet.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:57:39 AM »
I actually used to think the whole 370 system sounded better than the 360, although I thought the 360 was better at raw punch.

Some of the harshness of the 360 was eliminated in the later model (at least to my ears).

I owned a 360 for several years.

Hornisse

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:22:46 AM »

I had an old one and loved the sound.  I posted this photo on my Facebook page a while back and received these comments:

I loved my old 360 (c.1970)....huge sound--warm and LOUD....great back in the pre-monitor days.

saw Chicago in 1970 at W/S Convention Center..had to have that 360..."Hall of Fame" amp...a tank...but mine never quite sounded like Jaco's (must have been defective)..

Both comments were from players I really admire.  Sold it several years back.  My buddy John Mergili www.mergili.com restored the cabinet and amp for me.  The preamp sounded killer. 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 07:06:28 AM »
 Years ago in the mid 70's I went and saw a local band and the bass player had one of these. They played outside on a concrete pad, I just remember to this day that the bass had so much impact, you could feel it hitting you.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 07:15:19 AM »
Years ago in the mid 70's I went and saw a local band and the bass player had one of these. They played outside on a concrete pad, I just remember to this day that the bass had so much impact, you could feel it hitting you.

Yep. Folded horns are extremely efficient for bass at large distances. Trouble is, you don't hear much out of them until you're a quarter to half wavelegnth away, which is 10 to 20 feet. Guys using them would literally be pummelling the back row and completely unable to hear themselves on stage.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 08:28:54 AM »
My first big rig was the Ampeg V4B with the 2 15 (altec) in a folded horn.   same problem.  Somewhat an easy fix back then when ampeg stuff was reasonable and i could justify spending $$$$.  I went out and bought an SVT.  Used the V4B with the SVT cab for "smaller " venues and the svt with both cabs for larger stuff.  Had no problem hearing myself on stage after that ...neither did any living beings within 10 miles ;D
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
I traded my 360 for a minty V4B/SVT Fridge, years ago. Never looked back.

Sounded much better for club work, and you could hear it on stage.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
Not more gear, Scott... ;D

watch from about 5mins and you might get why I posted this (possible) obscurity - not about the musician that is dead for a year for tax reasons, the stage set-up for DISASTER AREA...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »
Yep. Folded horns are extremely efficient for bass at large distances. Trouble is, you don't hear much out of them until you're a quarter to half wavelegnth away, which is 10 to 20 feet. Guys using them would literally be pummelling the back row and completely unable to hear themselves on stage.

I can vouch for that. My first real cab was an Acoustic 301, fed by my Ampeg V4B. Oh, and my Bicentennial 'birdie with Gibson flats. In the small to medium rock clubs I was playing, I could rearrange internal organs at the bar.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter