Author Topic: John Entwistle Hiwatt for sale  (Read 6577 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
John Entwistle Hiwatt for sale
« on: August 12, 2010, 11:01:12 PM »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: John Entwistle Hiwatt for sale
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 12:56:54 AM »
My guess is that it's priced 5-10K. Celebrity owned amps aren't nearly as valuable as instruments. I had ownership of the DR103 the Georgia Satellites used to record bass on "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" for awhile due to Guitar Center not paying me for servicing it and leaving it in my possession for over three years. I gave it back when they paid my repair fee plus $100 for storage. I had a legal right to ownership for a workman's lien, but decided not to test that against a company that was at that time, owned by lawyers and investment bankers.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:46:21 AM »
Jim Demeter says he designed the Demeter Bass Preamp after working on one of Townshend's HiWatts by using it's preamp section as the 'inspiration.'  I have not heard this from him but from a friend of 30 years who's a Demeter salesman.  I sure like the way mine sounds even though the 1.5 rack size is odd.

Just watched 'Classic Albums; The Who: Who's Next.'  Toward the end Entwistle is playing a tobacco Reverse through Coliseums on 'Join Together' video.  One black Fenderbird, a Ric and a few Alembics in the documentary and some major tone and technique throughout.  Highly recommend if you haven't seen it.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind adding a DR103 someday. But then again I just got my first Hiwatt DR201 yesterday and am having Lot's of fun!! Especially with my Pelham Blue 1965 reverse Thunderbird II!!!

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:46:50 AM »
Did John use Hiwatt in 1974? With The Who it was all Coliseum Bass, Coliseum Lead and 880 at that time. Maybe it was used with his band The Ox.

Isn't it the same like Townshend's CP103? With four inputs and four volumes and no middle.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »
With MGs track record of forging vintage Hiwatts I wouldn't pay any more than the price of a standard head. Unless of course it has a signed provenance from someone OTHER than MG.
Anyone doing so would be a mug.

Examples?
http://www.vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92695

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:02:21 PM »
Stu, Thanks for the insight! I have seen those posts before but thanks for pointing it out the the rest here !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 05:20:35 AM »
Looks far too clean...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:00:04 AM »
I knew there was a big counterfeit market, but reading that thread was a real eye-opener.  "Investment grade amplifiers" is kinda funny to me, though. I understand the idea, but seriously... wow.

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:15:04 PM »
Same thing has been going on with vintage guitars for the past 20 years. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »
It's a little different with amps. Guitars are relatively easy to fake unless the perspective victim knows the details of the instrument he wants intimately. With amps, even the ones in the linked thread, if a buyer knows enough to seek out a specific model, even if it's a forgery, the amp has to be the functional equivalent and, in most cases, a similar model and vintage. In essence, the copies ARE as good as the real thing, just lacking the collector value. In that, aside from aesthetics, the people ARE getting what they pay for. I'm not condoning or advocating the practice, but it does highlight the ridiculousness of hero-worship affecting resale value. Playing through an amp that used to belong to the Ox won't make you able to play like him. ..but then again, that discussion is taking place on a guitar forum.  ;D :o ;) :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 10:19:28 AM »
Sure hasn't helped me... ;D

I guess Dave Reeves would be flattered... (Imitation is the sincerest form...?)

Added this from Mark Huss' site of the inner workings of the real thing SNo 005

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...