Author Topic: GFS guitar humbucker in my bass  (Read 1549 times)

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
GFS guitar humbucker in my bass
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Hey y'all,

A while back I was mentioning that I had ordered a GFS rail humbucker to use in a Kramer bass project I was working on.

Well, it's in and I'm really pleased with the results.

I waxed it into a blank chrome cover from Stew-Mac and I think it looks every bit as good as the Rio Grande Pit-Bulls... I can't compare the sound.

It sounds pretty mean through my SVT... I'm running 15s so it's got a real old school flavor.

It is important to remember that this isn't a bass I'm going to be playing a lot so the look was far more important than the tone.
Bring on the Nubiles

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
Re: GFS guitar humbucker in my bass
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:30:23 PM »
The bass itself was a huge project all new wood on the top... 3/4" worth, new bridge, sorting out the many neck issues etc.

Here I am rockin' with it...

Bring on the Nubiles

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:39:31 AM »
That turned out great!  So how does that pup sound?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 06:34:13 AM »
Thanks Dr.

This is one of those times when I wish I had "before" pictures. This old Kramer 350 was put through the ringer.

The PO had installed EMGs with a drill and chisels and covered up the piss poor job with the worst homemade pick-guard ever. I just had to save it.

That finish is actually a wipe on concoction that I think I'm going to keep using... tung oil, marine varnish, and turpentine.

The pick up had to look good and make sound, I wasn't too concerned if it sounded great or not. It's certainly hot, and I might could get it to sound better if I installed a volume and tone knob... I actually, quite, like it.

The truth is that it isn't like my Gibsons or Dan Armstrong and that's OK.
(In fact my LP bass with the Bartolini active pre hisses like crazy, I still need to look into that).

I'd use the GFS stuff again, especially on an upcoming project where the tone is less important than the look and price.
Bring on the Nubiles

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 12:08:45 PM »
Nice looking walnut top and the finish works well with it. Some more-or-less clear finishes give off odd hues on walnut.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 01:27:18 PM »
I Like it ! A before picture would be great.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:00:56 AM »
That's a nice piece of resurrection work, Doc A.

How are the necks on those...? never played one but heard a lot of issues when they first appeared on the market... temperature change being the most prevalent...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »
Thanks Kenny,

Back in the 80's I used to have one of the guitars and based on these two I can confirm that they don't like to stay in tune on stage.

As you pointed out, it seems that the temperature of the aluminum in the neck keeps changing and so does the tuning.

That being said they sure look cool and you can catch snakes with the headstock too.

Probably wont be a lot of studio cats clamoring for old Kramers but they look cool... Almost as cool as my Dan Armstrong.

Bring on the Nubiles

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
Now they are one of the posiest instruments, ever... ;D

Often had a yearning for one... (envy icon here)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »
Wow- I love it!  That looks beautiful, and I dig the austere look.  We don't need no steenking knobs!  The overall style somehow made me think of those really early Spectors.

Been about 20+ years since I picked one up in a store, but I seem to remember those necks feeling pretty comfy to me (and I like the cold, so I'm good with aluminum  :thumbsup:).  I was looking at the Kramers when I was huntin' 8-stringers, but ended up with an Ibby instead.