Author Topic: RD or not RD, that is the question... another refurb on the go...  (Read 12607 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Some of you will remember this horror story, but for those that don't this is a link to my original posting which will give you the seriously gory details...

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1988.0

The original chrome bridge is presently esconsed on Scott's new Ripper and a black one sits awaiting a new set of posts which I think I've now sourced...

...as you can see, I started to pick away at the lacquer-coated neck which pealed off with remarkable ease...

... but the face of the head is a badly crackled...

... the face of the neck fully stripped...

Some questions gentleman...
I intend to leave the neck bare, but will maple tolerate being used as a fretless...? (this is the only fretless instrument I've owned - I do remember playing a fretless maple-necked Jazz years back...)
The Nitromors stripper I used on the Thunderbird should strip the remainder of the body, but do I have to take specific care of the face of the head...?

Scott suggested leaving all the holes in place as a reminder of how complex an instrument became so simplified, but there is a bit of me that is thinking about plugging the lot and leaving her with just the original pup in the neck position and using Tony's old 20/20 as a "filler" for the other hole, but I may still go for the EMG inside the 20/20 - she'll still be minimalistic... early days...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: RD or not RD, that is the question... another refurb on the go...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Another show in the making! Can't wait to see how she turns out...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »
Well if you are giving her the treatment you may as well go whole hog !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:15:10 PM »
Yes indeed - go for the whole enchilada!

I would leave the peg head as is and I would be very tempted to epoxy to fingerboard.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 04:05:55 AM »
Id loose the panda , leave as is and use 1200 -2400  gentle wet sand  & buff it . Cracks= mojo . Cant hurt! . What are you filling the fret slots with ? Nice project.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
I'd fill the unwanted holes in the body and do a nice veneer over the top and wet sand/polish the headstock as suggested already.  A few age cracks up there should be fine and validates the bass's heritage.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 10:49:41 AM »
She's going to have a solid colour fin but the neck will be natural, oiled...

Not to sure what to think about the fret positions as they were filled in 26 years ago - the neck is perfectly smooth with not a mark on it (frontally)

Still have not found the TRC, but then again, still haven't found the gold Peter Cook pup - there's an awful lot of boxes in my loft space.

a light W&D on the face of the head it will be - may be partially tempted to do the back and edge of the head same colour as the body and fade into the neck...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 12:42:02 AM »
Me again - just dropped on this one!

I have just quickly gone through the original post, which I read when I first came on board.
Boy, has that thing gone through the mill!!!!
You are obviously not frightened of "getting in there" and moulding the beast to your requirements. ;D
Is there anything you have or have had that hasn't been under the surgeon's knife??

On another note - have you seen how much RD's are fetching??
I so want a sunburst one but think I would now have to sell something precious to afford it. Bah Humbug! :-[ :-[

Cheers. :)
Now a little more wiser. . . . .

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 01:26:49 PM »
Don't ever really want to buy something I would not be willing to mod if required, and if I buy something it is for keeps, usually...

Only one bass escaped any alterations and I don't even have a picture... a fixed neck Jazz with rear fitted conns that was active - lovely neck but was just not me - dark wood - natural fin - not sure what she was now - literally bought whilst still actively trying to go pro ('83) when I was late for a rehearsal, saw this on the wall, and bought her on the spot, using gear that was in the studio...

Ah... also had a Strat copy, too... actually I ended up with two - one had a split body - built the best of the two into one - sold both on...

Things that did not make it are my Grenn EB2 copy, which was destroyed during rebuilds post the PC purchase, and a Shergold that just was not worth the effort - still have the pup surround...

The Mandolin is almost exactly as purchased (by my wife and daughter)

Another rebuild project is my '74 SG Special... 6 string, that is...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
Rave from the graveyard that is my shed...

I finally got off my butt, cleared the cobwebs and pulled the posts out this afternoon, measured up all the holes and was stuck thinking... where do I get 13mm and 10mm maple...?

I compromised... maple drumsticks come in 13mm, so waiting for the post...

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »
I like docs idea of  veneering the top, but he has mucho clamps. Now he has a vacume press so we should be seeing a whiole new level of refins from uipstate NY! :mrgreen:
 Im glad you are considering leaving the cracks in the headstock. Keep us posted.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 09:36:51 AM »
I intend to leave the neck as much alone as I can, just the polish up to the face, but I'm going to plug everything and possibly remain with just the one pot as a master and the selector switch...

The body is another thing... no veneer is going on... ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
Holes plugged - I'll post a pic once I've sanded down...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »

Light sanding on the head - as previously suggested by Buzz and Shadow, leaving as is - nicely distressed and aged...

Holes that need to be plugged are - sanding started - going to need a new sander as the old one is on the way out - presently ripping in with 80 grit... :o

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 10:53:30 AM »
Be careful with the power sander Mr. Butcher! ;)  It's easy to cause ripples and bumps with to much sander - especially around your plugs as the grain is different (DAMHIKT >:().  A good sanding block and very good sandpaper can work wonders.