Author Topic: De-activating a bass.  (Read 974 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
De-activating a bass.
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
I have a 2010 Fender Precision Special  (p/j) configuration that I like all aspects of: weight, balance, beuatiful thin all maple Jazz neck, black w/gold guard. Oh yeah and the sound but not the zing of the active circuitry. I do not want one of those switches that will give you the option of passive or active because they usually don't give you the full options in passive mode. Any one ever done this or has some ideas? Thanks.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: De-activating a bass.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
Easy enough to do - remove the preamp and associated bits and pieces, and refit a good quality P/J pair and wire it all up.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 05:53:21 PM »
+1
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:20:20 PM »
The original pup may have a good sound - just bypass the lot and wire straight to the jack to check out what you get "raw"...

I junked all the circuitry on my RD Artist and run the existing pup passively - it has a great sound left in the "neck" slot - the other one still lives in my PC in the "bridge" slot - ditto on the sound output...

Can you check what the resistance value of the pup...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »
Fender puts plenty of wiring diagrams online - all you really need to do is remove the active electronics, then re-wire according to the diagram of your choice.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:33:06 AM »
Probably your bass has passive pickups going to a preamp, you can try those in passive mode, you might like 'em. Also you will save money that way for not having to buy new pickups! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:51 AM »
All Fender pickups are passive, but if the particular pickups in this bass were designed to be used with a preamp, they may not sound like what he wants if he just removes the preamp.

... I do not want one of those switches that will give you the option of passive or active because they usually don't give you the full options in passive mode. ...

If you mean that you wouldn't have passive tone controls to work with in bypass mode, you're right. You'd have to wire separate controls. Otherwise, though, a correctly installed bypass switch should go completely around the preamp.