Author Topic: Breaking the mold - in a wonderful way  (Read 2945 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Breaking the mold - in a wonderful way
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:57 AM »
A friend of mine posted this - I hadn't heard this group: Disturbed, on Conan - with a new take on one of the most recorded songs in history, The Sounds of Silence.  I was totally blown away with the power of this performance...I heard the lyrics differently than ever before.

Love it? Hate it?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Breaking the mold - in a wonderful way
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
disturbed doing their usual thing. from the same album.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:30:35 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 09:53:55 AM »
disturbed doing their usual thing. from the same album.

That's more what I expected from them, and I don't like it at all - not even close to my kind of music.

It's pretty cool when a group breaks away from their normal schtick and shows that they really can be musical and melodic.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 12:26:41 AM »
This version of John Lennon's Imagine by a Perfect Circle is also very different. By changing it from Major to Minor, the song is no longer an optimistic song...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »
Take a happy song and make it sadder...

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 05:23:14 AM »
^
Very interesting. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 07:25:44 AM »
The distrubed SoS was cool until he tried to go metal voice, and then it fell apart for me.  He shouldA kept with the baritone.  Their other stuff is a sort of overwrought/melodramatic orchestral metal that I thought died with Evanescence (though they also had a rap element).

I liked A Perfect Circle when they first hit.  Too bad they lost their original bassist and regressed to a more Tool-like schtick.  I dig the idea of what they're doing there with Imagine, but I don't like the emotionless droney thing the vocalist is doing (and I never liked his more forced style as was common with Tool either).  I don't like his voice for the same reasons I didn't like Alice in Chains, except this guy sounds like that dude on Thorazine.

Hey Jude is creepily interesting that way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:35:39 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Interesting.  I thought the touch of metal voice added to the intensity of the lyric without going overboard.  Fortunately he didn't go "full metal."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 08:28:36 PM »
I have avoided Disturbed's cover of Sound of Silence up to now because even though I don't hate them, they're generally too synthetic and not raucous enough to be my kind of metal. I watched the Conan video. That cover was awesome. My only gripe was on the high notes, I heard the auto-tune kick in; if they'd have just let him overshoot the notes like he was doing for real, the performance would have been even more powerful. The "metal voice" part really worked well for me, and as tightly controlled as everything was in that song, a little "breakage" during the "pretty parts" would have only made it better.

RE: A Perfect Circle: Maynard is a douche with his head firmly up his own ass. That doesn't mean he can't put out good music, but like Tool, what was once a REALLY good band devolved into formulaic repetition. YAWN
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 09:44:05 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 08:10:36 AM »
I can appreciate something like that. I like Paul Simon's songwriting and what you can do with (to?) it.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...