Author Topic: Pictures! 2012 Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird  (Read 19140 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Pictures! 2012 Gibson Non Reverse Thunderbird
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
I will probably get flamed when I say this but...I have no nostalgia for the "original" Gibson basses. That's why I always played a Fender or RIC except for a one month stint with a Ripper (it was a good bass).  This is just my opinion, but I think you can compare an old EBO to an old Fender absolutely unplugged, and the body of the Fender will resonate much more musically without even being plugged in (I did this many many years ago).

I do like the NR design a lot.  If the pickups and body shape combine to make this a lively and resonant instrument, I would be interested. The shape is definitely cool.

What I look for is a good well balanced sound with great note definition. I like a solid bottom, screaming highs, and a good "click" when I use a pick.

No nostalgia here...YMMV
  I won't flame you, I have tons of  respect for Fender. That said I'm NR Thunderbird through and through.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
I will probably get flamed when I say this but...I have no nostalgia for the "original" Gibson basses. That's why I always played a Fender or RIC except for a one month stint with a Ripper (it was a good bass).  This is just my opinion, but I think you can compare an old EBO to an old Fender absolutely unplugged, and the body of the Fender will resonate much more musically without even being plugged in (I did this many many years ago).

I do like the NR design a lot.  If the pickups and body shape combine to make this a lively and resonant instrument, I would be interested. The shape is definitely cool.

What I look for is a good well balanced sound with great note definition. I like a solid bottom, screaming highs, and a good "click" when I use a pick.

No nostalgia here...YMMV

No flaming here. Different strokes and all that.

An old EB-0 is smaller and much thinner than a long scale Fender, that alone makes a big difference in body resonance.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
I love Pre-CBS Fender P Basses and Jazz basses...and dot neck Rickenbackers....But I don't own any right now....Just Birds...

weekend warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »
The Front pickup is too far forward.They needed to use the tbird studio bridge on this.I have a schaller roller sitting right here waiting to go on mine :mrgreen:
Life is like a big fan.And sometimes the CACA hits it!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 05:45:22 AM »
HOG doesn't react to my email, Scott! I assume that shipping directly to Germany is not kosher to them (they are not allowed under their Gibson distributorship agreements to ship into territories other than the US, neither are all the online dealers like Musician's Friend or Sweetwater which is why Mark gets them all first). They probably think I'm some disguised Gibson attorney wishing to lure them into a breach of their distributor contract!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:40:02 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32:10 AM »
HOG doesn't react to my email, Scott! I assume that shipping directly to Germany is not kosher to them (they are not allowed under their Gibson distributorship agreements to ship into territories other than the US, neither are all the online dealers like Musician's Friend or Sweetwater which is why Mark gets them all first). They probably think I'm some disguised Gibson attorney wishing to lure them into a breach of their distributor contract!

Or that you wish to sell them feeeelthy verboten fingerboard woods......  :o
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:40:16 PM by uwe »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 09:40:03 AM »
Or that you wish to sell them feeeelthy verboten fingerboard woods......  :o

Gibson would never do anything like that!  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
Vee haff ze vvays to bake your maple!!! Feuer frei!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »

I'm sure Scott or I can send you what you want.  If we buy it, we can ship it anywhere we like.  Blue?  Burst?  One of each?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »
  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm we'll figure something.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
Vee haff ze vvays to bake your maple!!! Feuer frei!!!

Is this your crack-liberation team going in for the Continental V...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2012, 05:16:45 PM »
its the kiln drying technique for those new ethical fingerboards.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 08:21:12 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 06:08:10 PM »
its the kiln drying technique for those new ethical fingerboards.

It's been tried before on a Musicman, with mixed results...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »
So has anyone actually SEEN one of these yet? I'm not actually old enough to have played one of the originals, but have wanted one since seeing an older neighbor playing one waaay back in my youth, plus all the pics of them I've seen. I'm guessing these were marketed straight at guys like me, who don't have a "real" one to judge them against. Well, I'd also have to ask them why just SB and Pelham, where's the Cardinal Red one? Granted I'll have to wait until I can get a 7-year old one with a broken headstock anyway, but still...

EDIT: I just remembered what I was gonna post too. I was at GC the other day and decided to ask about these. The guy there (playing some kind of LP, he was supposed to be the "Gibson expert") told me, "I don't know anything about those coming out. Maybe try Ebay?" Uh, thanks buddy.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:30:42 PM by daan »
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!