Author Topic: SD t-bird pick-ups  (Read 7154 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: SD t-bird pick-ups
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:39 AM »
I drove a Turbo Forester (old version) with a stick and it was an absolute monster. I would either loose my license or kill myself in that car. A WRX in sheep's clothes. An absolute blast to drive fast on twisty roads.

One of the most fun cars I have driven in a long time. The Outback feels like a large truck in comparison.

They totally redesigned the Outback and like the new Forester, has became a larger SUV.

The Tribecca was really fun to drive as well, but is a gas pig. My biggest gripe with all Subies are the lack of padding in their seats. They are uncomfortable on long trips. Why can't people just copy Volvo seats?

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
That is a beauty ! Is that one of my bridges ?

good eye! ;) i am sure i will be ordering another from you. looking for a good tailpiece. hell i'm looking for all kinds of bits to assemble this bass.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:21:36 PM by birdie »
Fleet Guitars

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:54 AM »
I don't know anything about T-birds pickups nor SD's replacements, but since we're on this subject, can anyone please send me measurements, or even better tracing of those 60's pickup's cover? Or direct me to some place I can find some? Thanks in advance.

Daniel,

I just re read your post, Mike Lull's Thunderbird pick ups use the exact same dimensions as a 60's Gibson, and the covers are made by the same manufacturer. You might try contacting his new office manager Paul about getting some empty covers, tho if I were looking for new 'Bird pups his are definately the way to go. He has them specifcally made to 7k and 8k outputs, tonally they're fantastic, I have one in my Lullbird of course and my Bach as well, later this year I'll convert my Nikki Sixx MkII over to them.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »
My biggest gripe with all Subies are the lack of padding in their seats. They are uncomfortable on long trips. Why can't people just copy Volvo seats?

Being the current owner of a Suby and a past owner of a Volvo I agree wholeheartedly John.
Digresion our specialty!

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
got my pup covers and rings today! took maybe 3 days, they look great, and they sent me some extra goodies "for my trouble". ha!
what trouble? it was a great transaction. great customer service..doncha love it when that happens?

my f*nder-boid project is of the ground!! (well, i got some empty pup covers anyway)
Fleet Guitars

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 08:58:05 PM »
Here are my SD pups in Overdriven covers. They sound great!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 10:43:22 PM »
those are beautiful looking basses!! dasson bridge and tailpiece on the blonde?
Fleet Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »
That is one of my bridges, one of my pickguards to I think. Bill lives very close by. The tail piece is a looks like a All Parts though Bill does have some wonderful repros. Here is a '67 I own, was modded throughly when I got her,now put right more or less with the correct pick up and hardware. One of my bridges and Bill's repro tail pieces.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2009, 05:10:28 AM »
GoT, that is a beautiful NR!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 05:23:47 AM »
About Overdriven's pickup casings; To me the radius of the bevel always looks a bit too sharp. :-\

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:25 AM »
60's pup covers have a sharper radius than the '76 covers. Overdriven's look a little sharper than the originals but I am not sure. I think OD's look a lot better than the '76 covers.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 08:59:28 AM »
I have a repro tail piece on the NR now.  Not sure about the edge radius on the Overdriven covers, but they look good and sound great.  If I need another, I might try the Lull models for a change up.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »
Sorry but I have to join the derailing train.  As John knows, my wife and I have a 2005 Subie Legacy GT 2.5ltr turbo 5-speed wagon and a 2000 Legacy GT 2.5ltr 5-speed wagon.  Neither one is made anymore despite my protests to Subie N.A. and Fuji Heavy Industries. Perhaps there is a shared bond of individuality and "right tool for the job" here.

Am working on filling a T-bird void, though I did once have an RD Artist in my possession while having it appraised for a friend.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »

After reading John's post I took a look at the 2010 version of the Outback...........

It's disappointing :sad:

All that much more reason to keep my '99
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

birdie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
just looked at the new one. i would have to agree the looks leave something to be desired. esp. the front end.
on ours it rminds me vaguely of an aston martin or something. the new one is nondescript/boring, to me.
Fleet Guitars