Author Topic: White Triumph  (Read 7440 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: White Triumph
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 11:59:05 AM »
Ah... a wide angle lens...  8)

In my apprentice days, my task whilst on "American Minors" (no, nothing illegal, before anyone chirps in!) was to climb up the wheels, step onto the oleo supports, drag myself up onto the door (trying to avoid the Skydrol, vainly) and change the internal failed lamps, as required... the inner pair of wheels have a stowage area great enough that I could only just reach the covers (and I'm just an inch shorter than you, Mark) - about 5 in each bay...

Another fun filled job I had was refilling any gearbox oil on P&W engines... once had to put in 18 quarts after we changed one in a blizzard, with the cans sticking to my hands; couldn't open the cans with my gloves on...

Taking a JT9D for a spin...

Wishing I could have flown on her...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »

I think the "aircraft person" in you would enjoy living where I do, it's a constant parade.......
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 12:45:58 PM »
I'd never get anything done, Mark...  8)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 01:01:51 PM »

After awhile you don't notice them so much............It's really the sound, or a different sound that causes me to look up and notice anymore.................DC-8's at 105% on takeoff, Hell Yeah! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Hornisse

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »
Growing up an Airforce Brat I used to love the sounds of the different aircraft.  The C5A has a drone all its own and there is nothing like hearing a B52 going over your head.  I can even remember the old F100, 104, 111's and F4's.  Then there were the prop planes........

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2009, 10:36:29 PM »
i grew up on air force bases around new zealand.i remember an airshow at whenuapai, must have been about 1966 ,an f104 starfighter flew overhead at about 100 feet i nearly filled my 8 year old pants.what a noise. probably why i put together my bi amp bass rig of the apocolypse in later life.
Louder bass!.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:24 AM »
I'm guilty too. I grew up in Katherine Northern Territory at Tindal air base . Australias main northern Airbase. Used to climb around on top of C130's, F111's Sky Hawks and even a canberra Bomber such was Australia's military security in the mid 70's.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
Heathrow's flight path was my birthright... Boeing 707's, 727's and 737's, DC8's, Convair CV880's and 990's, Comet's and Caravelle's, and then the props/turboprops... Viscounts', Vanguards, an occasional DC7 or Connie although they were getting rare in the 60's... the first Pan-Am 747 in '69... and Concorde being a brand-new bird when I started with British Airways in 1976...

The only way you can experience what Concorde (oh why oh why did you Americans "cry-shy" of such a beautiful bird...? just because she was not American...? :sad:) was like, both visually and physically (and 4 Olympus engines at 110% with afterburners was a physical experience...!) whilst standing at the end of the runway is to try and talk to a friendly USAF buddy and watch a B1...

Ohhh, that smell...  8)

I have and always will have aviation fuel in my veins and the smell of burnt kerosine will forever turn my head... just could not stand working on "bits" of aircraft in the centre of a hanger with no daylight...

My treat as a kid was the occasional Vulcan doing "touch-and-go's" whilst visiting family on the home Island, no afterburners but a "howl" all of their own...

... and they would low-fly in "radar avoidance" exercises, a couple of hundred feet above the house... no "tyre-tread" for recognition, Mark...  ;)

ps
a work buddy (ex RAF engine fitter) used to service RAF Phantoms and WGAF Starfighters (his fave, for the "sound" as well...!). Last flying Starfighter I saw was WGAF and a Belgium AF at Biggin Hill in the early 70's...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 10:55:32 AM by Kenny Five-O »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »
That is a cool pic!

A recently deceased motorcycle buddy of mine, who was an engineer for BSA/Triumph in the late '60s and early '70s, lied about his age and flew F4 Corsairs in Korea when he was 17.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
Ohhh, that smell... 

I have and always will have aviation fuel in my veins and the smell of burnt kerosine will forever turn my head... just could not stand working on "bits" of aircraft in the centre of a hanger with no daylight...

This explains a lot!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 03:22:02 PM »

The Vulcan pic brings back some memories of the airshow at McChord AFB in Tacoma, Wa. that I went to several times as a child...........Thanks!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »
Neil Smith is a big-time realtor in Connecticut these days (I think he got the old Alice Cooper mansion, which later burned down).  Dunaway has The Dennis Dunaway Project, but no Joe Bouchard.  I've got their Bones From The Yard release of a few years back.

Dunaway and Smith were featured as the rhythm section for Buck Dharma's Flat Out solo release.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2009, 03:58:48 AM »
Mark, does being the only aviation fuel-hungry, warbird-loving and model train collecting drag queen ON EARTH ever make you feel, well, different from the other girls:mrgreen:

We wouldn't want you any other way.  :rimshot:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »

We wouldn't want you any other way.  :rimshot:

Hear hear  :)   
Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2009, 08:28:47 AM »
Mark, does being the only aviation fuel-hungry, warbird-loving and model train collecting drag queen ON EARTH ever make you feel, well, different from the other girls?  :mrgreen:

We wouldn't want you any other way.  :rimshot:

Ahhh........Yes,
I'm all of that and more, you forgot the Thunderbirds. They are, (quoting Twilight) "my own personal brand of heroine".
I'm quite different than my "sisters"  ;D

Thank You, Herr Moderator  and All    ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:54:48 AM by TBird1958 »