Author Topic: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"  (Read 17348 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: "When in doubt, get a Fender P-bass"
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2009, 11:26:19 PM »
Not fair. They can usually make it all the way across a parking lot before needing a major overhaul.  :)

Kinda makes you want to buy something French  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:41 AM »
I'm excited about these new designs: smart cars  ;D

Those are cute.

Talking of British cars, here's my nemesis, circa 1977 I think. Great when it was working, which wasn't often. What insane optimism led me to try to get it up a mountain in Switzerland? By this stage the throttle was sticking, the wipers didn't work and the cooling system mysteriously emptied itself at random intervals.

>>Kinda makes you want to buy something French 

About the same period I was driving a Renault something on the Rover test track and the gear lever came off in my hand. So, yes, it wasn't only the British.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2009, 09:39:53 AM »
My sympathies to anyone who owned a TR-7. They were as bad as my Saab 99, maybe worse.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »
TR-7 was the absolute bottom of the barrel in British sports cars. I've got the perfect British sports car  ;), a 99 miata with a supercharger and a mild shot of nitrous.
Rick

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 05:39:56 AM »
My first car was a '68 Triumph Spitfire (not very good for hauling bass gear, I used mom's station wagon for that). It was rust with white trim. Ran on average 4 days a week. More like a go cart than a car. Rusted out wheel wells you could see the front tires from the driver seat. I glassed them up but water still shot up from the gear shift. Several times the rear wheels just spun off. In the winter we put a orange bike flag on it, the snow piles up so high here you couldn't even see it coming down the road. No locking column, my friends used to borrow it by push starting it. It was alot of fun, but the only British car I ever owned !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2009, 07:44:42 AM »
I had the misfortune of working for the company. I had actually ordered a Spitfire on the employee scheme, as I liked the idea of the rag top. The promised delivery date came and went, so I started hassling. After a while the fleet manager phoned: "We know your Spitfire was built, but we can't find it anywhere. Would you like a TR7, we've got plently of those?"

There was a joke about British cars that you'd switch on the lights and the wipers would come on. So, in 2002, in an ill-advised fit of nostalgia and discovering that after 25 years I was still entitled to a staff discount, I bought a new MG. First time I took it out at night, I switched on the lights and the wipers started up.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »
Nice story :mrgreen:

I hope you don't mind if I go a bit off topic and talk about P basses? Your story remind me of one.

As you maybe know my Fiesta P got stolen and my colleague (who had it when it was stolen) and I got a discount from Fender Europe because they hated the story. After a while a Fender employee called me and asked me that they could also send a Marcus Miller Jazz instead of a Precision... NOOOOOO!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »
my dad had two TR-6's (a little bigger than the Spitfire) both were cherry.one navy blue the other British racing green. nice and fast.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »
I also discovered you needed two British cars, one to drive while fixing the other. I had a GT6 and an MGA, also at times an MGB or Spitfire. I held on to the MGA for about 30 years, only selling it a few years ago.

Oh, I did finally get a P bass a few months ago. I have been assimilated.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »
I am the proud owner if a 1958 Fiat 1200 Transformabile (Spyder), which was my high school graduation gift in 1968.  It has been in storage since the 1970's and is just about finished with a minor restoration - so I've had no reliability problems at all for 30 years!  If you don't want service problems, you can't miss by having it up on blocks. 

Here's a promo photo.  The windshield is low enough that the convertible top actually extends UP to allow headroom.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »
WOW!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
I see a great future for Fiat, Chrysler and the concrete block industry.  ;)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:18 AM »
WOW!

Get in your Twingo and ride! ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
 :mrgreen:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
LMFAO ! Were we not talking about the Fender Precision bass ? The most robust and reliable of all bases ? How could this degenerate into a discussion about British sports cars ? Only here.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird