Author Topic: '73 mapleglo checkerboard binding.  (Read 15826 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '73 mapleglo checkerboard binding.
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
  I really appreciate all the advice and I did learn a fair amount. What it boils down to for me is that I paid a pretty good chunk of money for a bass with a serious problem, one that should have be disclosed. A over site like this is unacceptable from a ebay seller with a brick and mortar music store. They should know better.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Sorry it didn't work out for you. You get to have the final decision.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
...unacceptable from a ebay seller with a brick and mortar music store. They should know better.

Obviously you've never been to South Florida. ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »
 Nope never been!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »
Well if you ask me ... you  have not seen enough Rick basses.

These gouge things are and were done all the time.

Both BEFORE they went into the spray booth...and then in the assembly area.

this is no big deal .
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 03:39:36 PM »
VERY disappointing, The truss rods are bent, pushed into the truss rod cavity. Looks like someone tried to dig under the nuts to get a wrench on them  :rolleyes: I emailed the seller, there is supposed to be a seven day return policy.
With the mild steel used... more than HALF the pre 1985 basses have this so called PROBLEM... its not a problem. Its not a HUGE issue.

Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

maxschrek

• I'm getting closer, my Salamander.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
I know that if I'm shelling out $1700 for a bass it had damn well better be all there and functioning
properly. I think that is Scott's point and I don't blame him, whether the "issues" are easily rectified
or not, that's simply too much $ to pay for an instrument that is gonna have to be taken apart and
monkeyed with to make it playable. Just sayin'.

T

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:45 PM »
  Bingo
I know that if I'm shelling out $1700 for a bass it had damn well better be all there and functioning
properly. I think that is Scott's point and I don't blame him, whether the "issues" are easily rectified
or not, that's simply too much $ to pay for an instrument that is gonna have to be taken apart and
monkeyed with to make it playable. Just sayin'.

T
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 06:51:59 PM by godofthunder »

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »
My 73 had the same problem...'course it was $300.  still played fine.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
 For me the action is way to high on this bass. As it came the truss rods can not be adjusted. So back it goes. No way in h*ll I am paying $,1700 for anything with the issues this bass has with out being disclosed.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
A Ric is one of the only major brands of older basses that I've never owned, although I have played loaners. I've been thinking of buying a 1968-73 era one with checker binding, etc. and have found this forum string EXTREMELY informative and interesting. Thanks.

I recently did a set-up on a friend's Cheyenne that he's had for years. He's one of those guys who plays various instruments but hasn't a clue on how to set up a guitar. His strings were almost a full inch off the fingerboard, so this bass had just become something that sat on a stand in the corner and unplayable. Gesh! Fortunately, I got it playing great after about 45 minutes of tweaking. He was stoked and looked amazed, watching me work on it. I was glad I was able to get it right for him and that there wasn't anything major wrong with the thing.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2012, 12:26:56 PM »
Not a huge issue IMHO, but of course it should have been disclosed in the auction.

My '73 was a ski slope when I got it (for $1,250). The rod ends were bent and warped, of course. I cut half an inch off the rods and was able to adjust the neck to zero relief and low action with TI rounds. Since then the neck has been very stable for years. I should have had a new spacer block made, but it's stable so I'm not messing with it right now.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dr Quist

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »
There is an assumption that because  the Beatles , Byrds, Yes , Rush  Petty, Etc used this brand that they must be as easy to adjust from a mechanic point of view.

That just is NOT the case.

All pre 1985 basses need help.I have rarely seen one STOCK that did not need the bridge moved, the E  saddle modified so you COULD get the string intonated ...and the curling rods is easy to solve...THEY ALL DO THAT .

I can explain it .  Most repair shops deal with Gibson's truss rod . It does not matter what brand  that rod is in ..it is their design.
Rick has since 1986 used a variation on the Gibson design ... it too can use a little help IMHO. (I am not crazy about how the rods are anchored- a fairly easy fix )
Arnquist Musical Designs
Arnquist Guitars

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
 Within 15 minuets of the bass arriving four problems presented themselves, way to many for the kind of money I spent. I would take longer than the seven day return policy to sort through all the issues and who knows what else might pop up. So back it goes. It is my money after all. Geeze you'd think I left a baby on a door step.

warriorbass05

• View Profile
    • Bass Tunes
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:24 PM »
Within 15 minuets of the bass arriving four problems presented themselves, way to many for the kind of money I spent. I would take longer than the seven day return policy to sort through all the issues and who knows what else might pop up. So back it goes. It is my money after all. Geeze you'd think I left a baby on a door step.

I think you need an RD Artist!!! a black one!!!
Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses   www.spectorbass.com
 Bluesman Vintage Basses
www.bluesmanvintage.com