Author Topic: Deep, Dark, Recordings From Your Past....  (Read 6276 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Deep, Dark, Recordings From Your Past....
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:18:53 AM »
Every once in a while, I get on a kick where I go through old stuff that I have on tape and rip it (best I can) to digital format.  This was some material I found of a band I was in when I was around 19 (around '92).  We were nice boys, and loved to play those adult contemporary jams to make the old folks get down.   ;D

Here's the bass that I tortued through most of this era in my life:

Live, I'd run that Aria thru a Fender BXR-400 (still have that too), and 2x15 Peavey Black Widows.  I butchered the bass, but it does play well.  At the time, I thought the sound of those SDs worked a lot better in this setting than the stock pickups.  I remember the Aria pickups being very middly.  I'd probably love 'em now!

So... I'm thinking this should be a fun thread!  Watcha got?  Recordings of that hair-metal band you were in?  Flock of Seagulls tribute?  Psychedelic polka?

Unleash the fury!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Deep, Dark, Recordings From Your Past....
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:32 AM »
As I mentioned in the post your music thread, my BandMix site has stuff over several years. 

"Voodoo Woman" is late '70s.  "Keep Running" is early '80s.  "Back In My Arms Again" is one of the few covers we did with the '80s band.

www.bandmix.com/garyweimer

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:35:10 AM »
I tried transfering some old stuff but the tape hiss, made it unbearable. The guy who did our recordings is going to try and transfer some 1/4 tape stuff to digital, some day!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:56:53 AM »
 :rimshot:

I could go further back but I already feel like I've just pulled my pants down in public.  :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:08:23 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:06:56 AM »
Hey nice job on those.  I wish I had more live recordings. 

I liked you and gweimer's tone on those old clips - what basses were you guys playing at the time?

Hope to see more revealing posts here - otherwise, I'm gonna have to break out my old big band recordings!  Ooh - or maybe the nu-jazz group I was in. :o   At least the cleansing effects of my post-punk phase cured me at an early age from slapping on every song.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9C-L057yE&feature=user

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:14:50 PM »
From 1993 till 2000 I played in a band called Bittermoon.
We made three CDs and during the recording of the third album we became good friends with Rob Lamothe. We had been huge fans for years. We were totaly excited when he agreed to do a guest performance on our album.
After those first recording sessions we did a few tours together. They are etched in my memory. Some of the best shows I ever played in my life.

My girlfriend Floor (who is now lead singer in our current band Superfloor) joined us for backing vocals and she even took some of the lead parts. I remember the first time we played together with Rob Lamothe, I told him my girlfriend sang too and she'd like to join in on backing vocals. He politely said "hmmm yeah okay" Of course he was a bit sceptical.
There was no real dressing room or backstage in the bar where we played. So Rob took out his acoustic and sat down outside in this dark backstreet alley and he dared Floor to sing one of his tunes, just to check if she could sing at all. Floor sang the whole tune and Rob was totally blown away. He had her sing along all night.

Here's a video from the second tour we did with him.

I used my Music Man Stingray through the Ampeg V4B with original cab those days.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:11:51 PM »
Killer groove Basvarken, not only does your G/F have an excellent voice but that groove that you are laying down on that MM is sweet. Great sound, cuts through very nicely without going over the top of some of the other sounds.  :thumbsup:
Digresion our specialty!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 06:16:59 PM »
chromium, thats a Fat tone you have on Demigod
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »
I liked you and gweimer's tone on those old clips - what basses were you guys playing at the time?

"Voodoo Woman" was done in the studio with my old '64 Precision that had the Bart 8S in it.
"Keep Running" was my '63 Epiphone Embassy straight into the board
"Back In My Arms Again" - live with the Embassy, using the Acoustic 360 and a Fender Bassman with a 2x15 cab mic'ed.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »

First 2 I'm using a greatly modified 72 Jazz bass into a TC Electronic 1140 pre. Last one is a passive 76 Precision into the desk.

The Jazz has: Active EMG's, Badass one, Brass scratch plate makes it heavy but gives it a darker more solid tone. Graphtech nut, Dimarzio jumbo frets. The only original stuff on it is the Wood, tuners and binding/Inlays. This bass is my main bass and has been for 30 years (44 - 14 = 30.......yep thats right lol  ;D)  You can get a quite convincing Ric sound out of this bass plus a wide variety of other sounds. Its biggest attribute is its "all on" sound, suits 95% of situations. It has the sustain of hades, never played a bass with more sustain.

I had some bad experiences with Grabbers, Rippers and Victorys in the past and for that reason I am a newcomer to the Gibson/Epi fold.

Digresion our specialty!

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »
Deep dark recordings from my past (1983) are here:

I'm playing bass on this one, "Ready to Fight".

And what the hey, here's one more:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:46:02 PM »
Mark, believe it or not, I still play your CD.  :)

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:58 PM »
I love you Dave. I can't think of a nicer thing you could have said. :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 10:07:39 PM »
Good stuff, Mark. Gibson wasn't the only good thing from Kalamazoo.  ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »
Mark, now I know how you ended up hanging out at Wizards!  Reminds me a little of The Hypstyrz.  Imagine if you'd have done that with the Bass of God.   :mrgreen: