Author Topic: to zero or not to zero?  (Read 2000 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
to zero or not to zero?
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
i have an opportunity to zero fret this project i am working on.

the problem is i have never played a zero fret and am unaware of the advantages or the disadvantages of either.

can anyone enlighten me a bit?

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

ramone57

• View Profile
Re: to zero or not to zero?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
I've never played a zero fret bass either, but the open strings are supposed to sound like fretted notes.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:36 AM »
I have two zero fret Burns basses (Reissue and vintage) and I don't feel/hear/see any real differences.... Someone wrote they came up with a zero fret because of weak nut material... (?) It's also said that the open strings sound better... Well, to have that you can use a brass (or other metal) nut too! And to be honest: I don't hear much difference either between a brass nut and a plastic nut. I used to own two Ricky 3000s (now one). One of them had a brass nut and the other it's original. Not much difference between the sound of the open strings. Not that I could detect anyway.

You could mail Sandberg. They're using it again!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
I don't like zero frets. If you look at a well set-up stringed instrument, you'll notice that the thinner strings have less clearance over the lower frets than the thicker strings. The higher strings need less clearance so they can be set lower, the lower strings need more excursion room. That's the way it ought to be-- proper setup geometry, if you will. But when you use a zero fret, it's impossible to do that.

Also, a bone nut is harder and less wear-prone than nickel silver fretwire or a brass nut.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:22:26 AM »
thanks players. i have enough info to research this in depth and i appreciate all players opinions. the fret board arrived and it is going to let me do a 24 fret scale. i am going to use graphite rods for added strength and am getting rid of my black NOS G3 tuners for lighter ones. i have been a little paranoid about neck dive and have been wanting to use either bone or ivory for a nut so......i am leaning towards no zero but as yet am undecided.
again thanks.
bill
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:52 PM »
The Magnatone has a zero fret.  I don't notice any real difference in it from the other basses I have.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:08:56 PM »
did you notice any difference in say any longer sustain on that Magnatone?

i realize it might have different pups than your other basses but in your best guess scenario.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 06:34:06 PM »
Didn't notice any difference in sustain.  The Hurricane has a built-in adjustable mute (which I have off) and has what is essentially a Ric pickup in it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 07:37:01 PM »
with that in mind, a 5 laminate mahognamaple neck (excluding head stock wings), graphite rod re-enforcement, two way adjustable truss, an ebony board and headplate; i think i'll set course for no zero with a bone nut.  might save a little labor and hope the bone nut keeps it from being too "boney" in sound (pardon=no pun intended) but thats a lot of none musical things to put in one little neck!

what the heck, in 20 years my grandson will get it anyway, maybe i'll inlay a picture of a hot chick in the ebony headplate for him! make him wonder what gramps was up to!