Author Topic: Pretend Gibby pup and build idea  (Read 4752 times)

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
Re: Pretend Gibby pup and build idea
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 08:37:25 AM »
I haven't been overly particular about pups - they either sound good or bad to me.  The sound I have liked the most over all these years was an old Gretsch Supertron bass pup. The guitar Supertron used several thin sections stuck together to make a blade, while the bass version was one big thick blade.  It recorded wonderfully, and sounded fine live.  I always attributed that to the blade design. It sounded really even all the way across, and was punchy low and high.

The laminated blade is used to give the pickup a brighter tone, since it inhibits the formation of eddy currents, which are small swirling electrical currents that form on conductive surfaces in the presence of a magnetic field. These current then produce their own magnetic field that opposes the main magnet's field, and that kills off some of the highs.

Bass pickups sound fine with a little eddy current loading, and it's often used on purpose to warm up the tone. The DiMarzio Model One has a thin brass plate on top of the bobbins for this reason. The old Gibson Firebird mini humbuckers had a small thin brass plate on top of the pickup under the treble strings to smooth them out a little.

My least favorite has been the DiMarzio p-bass with the allen screws.  It is a hot pup, but has that grating overtone.  But I believe the open top Allen screws were selected for the way they react to the strings vs a regular screw.

I used to think the allen screws were used on purpose because of the shape, but now I realize that it was just because they are rod shaped. The real reason why the Model P sounds that way is the pole screws are high carbon steel, and they use ceramic magnets. The winding is about the same as a real P bass. So the magnets and poles gives the pickup a harder tone.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
i have recently =used my Casady bass.  I just love that pickup but the bass is a big ass pain to play.  very long due to the 34 scale and the bridge not being set all the way back,  impossible neck diver.  Can someone build a comparable pup/tone selector ???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:12 AM »
i have recently =used my Casady bass.  I just love that pickup but the bass is a big ass pain to play.  very long due to the 34 scale and the bridge not being set all the way back,  impossible neck diver.  Can someone build a comparable pup/tone selector ???

Interesting.  I agree that I like the sound of that pickup (esp. with Labella flats), but the neck-dive on mine is manageable with a wide strap.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »
Can someone build a comparable pup/tone selector ???

Check out this thread:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=5772.30

That's my plan. I'm building myself a Triumph bass, and have empty pickup shells, so I've been researching the Les Paul low Z pickups. In the mean time someone loaned me a Triumph and Casady pickup to reverse engineer.

;)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
I just wanted to pop in and testify David's skills at pickup building.
He just made a set of single string pickups for an EUB I built and they are exceptional1
Rob Francis

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
I just wanted to pop in and testify David's skills at pickup building.
He just made a set of single string pickups for an EUB I built and they are exceptional1
Rob Francis

Hey Rob, I was wondering how those worked out.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:23 AM »
Check out this thread:

http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=5772.30

That's my plan. I'm building myself a Triumph bass, and have empty pickup shells, so I've been researching the Les Paul low Z pickups. In the mean time someone loaned me a Triumph and Casady pickup to reverse engineer.

;)

let me know when....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM