Author Topic: Modern Player Basses  (Read 6783 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Modern Player Basses
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
I wonder Chris, where the heck are these series produced ?
Ditto

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:37:49 AM »
At under €500 you know it's not going to be from the US, Mexico or Japan.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »
What the heck is Koto wood?

KOTO - Pterygota macrocarpa

Origin West Africa
Availability Square edged kiln dried boards
Colour Creamy White 
Usage General Mouldings · Internal Doors 
Durability Non-Durable
Density 630 - 670 kg/m3
Movement in Service Medium
Summary Excellent clean moulding timber, good Ramin substitute 
Basic Price Level Low

http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/images/koto.jpg

In depth details

http://database.prota.org/PROTAhtml/Pterygota%20macrocarpa_En.htm
Digresion our specialty!

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
Ok, thanks. More than i wanted to know. I also read (elsewhere) that it's not very stabil, beside being a cheap wood. mayby they want us to buy it, use it for a couple of years and then throw it away......

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 12:55:29 AM »
A tone pot ?  ;D  Completely useless with those HB's ........ I had my Squier VM Precision TB modded with an extra HB as a salute to Kenny Gradney years ago .......

I bet this sounds much better than the new Fender version. The bridge pickup is in a more sensible position.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48:35 AM »
I bet this sounds much better than the new Fender version. The bridge pickup is in a more sensible position.

??  Looks maybe one-half inch different than the pic on page 1 of this thread.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
??  Looks maybe one-half inch different than the pic on page 1 of this thread.

That makes a big difference that close to the bridge.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
Not that much. PeterB & I did a one on one comparison with his "Peterbuilt" Lotto which has the bridge PUP closer to the bridge. All the difference we heard was that my Monster Tele sounded a bit more "woody" but we figured that's due to the bass wood body ........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
I'm willing to accept that some of you folks with golden ears might hear a difference.  I know that ol' wooden ears here could not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
I tried a Modern Player Telecaster bass in a shop at the weekend and although I wasn't playing through the most spectacular of amps (a 40W Fender thing) it was so thick sounding that I thought I had earmuffs on, even on the bridge pickup.  I like old school but man, that was a bit far even for my taste.  It was nice looking, nice one piece neck, decent fret work, but I can't make a bass that woofy work for me.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
basswood?? 

because the lotto i heard sounded pretty good.    can't find  the video .... some women playing it
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »
A representative of Fender's told me they are made in the same factory as the more expensive Squiers.

rich briere

• "Do Unto Others"
    • View Profile
    • Rich Briere
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
as a rapidly evolving former fender fan i find this sad. aamof my wife insists on buying me a bass because she knows i love to hang to old stuff and tweak it to death.. i went to sitar center and played a bunch of fenders. not one imho was worth buying. everything about these basses that i loved my entire life suddenly felt wrong. still not a gibson fan but... :sad:

Nofi...With all due respect....Buying a bass--or even playing one--in a "Big Box" is most often a horrific experience. It's quite similar to buying a Wife Through the Russian Mail Order Conglomerate.  :-\    I spent a fair number of years trying to repair damage that had been done to FINE instruments that were either neglected or abused in the BB's.  IMHO, you're farrrrrrrrrrrr better off doing business with a small shop which knows, first and foremost, what a humidifier and a cleaning cloth are. :)

Bass-ically Yours,
Rich
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:20:16 PM by rich briere »
I've Always Found it Best to Use MY Name on Things I Write...It Cuts Down on the Confusion...... Bass-ically Yours.......RB

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 05:27:16 AM »
It's a shame that you almost have to go to a small shop, with a resident tech, to buy an instrument that is set up in decent playable condition, but it's pretty much true. I have gotten pretty good at picking up an instrument at GC and imagining what it would be like properly set up and with my choice of strings on it. I admit sometimes it's tough to stretch my imagination that far. The big problem is that so many of the little shops have lost their franchises to the big brands , like Fender and Gibson and have been forced to etch out a living selling cheaper knock offs and school band instruments etc.
A few years ago I stopped in a small shop when I was in Redlands , Ca and the salesman was  a pretty good tech and also a bass player. He turned me loose on a whole rack of American and Japanese Fender Ps and Jazz basses  that he had worked on. I felt like a blind dog in a meat house, I wanted everything I came in contact with ;D.
It's nice when you don't have to use your imagination :).
Rick