Author Topic: Acoustic Basses  (Read 10196 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: Acoustic Basses
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 04:49:05 AM »
Thanks guys.

True bass players because no one has mentioned my cement gargoyle like on guitar boards :)

I actually bought the Parker because it has a 5-piece neck and have been trying to talk Ken into converting it into an 8-string (root-octave) for me.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
I've got three acoustic basses...one of the original Lakeland made Warwick Aliens from 1993. It was actually the first one in the USA and meant for TM Stevens, after I wrote a magazine review on it. But I liked it so much I told Warwick, "send me a bill, I'm keeping it." 32-inch medium scale.

The other 4-string is a Parker PAB40 that I recently picked up. They didn't make many of them. I was surprised that when it arrived that the body is around 20 percent smaller than my other two acoustic basses but it's still about as loud. I've been playing it a lot this week as my "go to" bass, while sitting in my living room with the TV on, just to practice...probably because it is smaller.

The 5-string is an early Dillion limited edition from around 10 years ago. A fairly inexpensive bass but I've got it playing great and the B is fairly loud and not floppy.

If I plug them in I run them through an SWR Strawberry Blonde acoustic amp. You can use a Sabine FBX solo, auto feedback eliminator if you are loud enough to have problems.

Mighty purty basses!!!!

I have a Dean acoustic bass guitar. She's my "Anywhere, Anytime Girl". heh

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
Another '72 Earthwood guy here. I hunted for this bass for 10 years and am glad I held out. The acoustic volume, tone and projection is unequaled. It kicks a huge amount of ass.

That's not to say my head can't be turned. I just grabbed an old, probably pre-war German upright for short money that has me bewitched. The Earthwood is more aggressive. But the upright shakes the pictures on the walls.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »
My lovely wife bought me an Applause AE-40 for Christmas a few years ago - came with the case!  Nice bass, one of the louder A/E basses, and short scale.  I replaced the saddle with a scaled down version using Stew-Mac saddle material and managed to drop the action quite a bit.  Installed D'Addario Chromes and it's very playable.  The original strings are still on it in this photo.  A/E basses are really handy for practicing!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 09:39:16 AM »

This is my Eko acoustic bass. It is almost 30 years old and still looks great, just a few dings and scratches. It was dirt cheap and came with the case, but I don't know if it's original. It's the loudest acoustic bass I've ever heard, and it's still not really loud... (and there's no electrics in it).

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:06 PM »
Hey Pilgrim,
Although I'm not familiar with the AE-40 , I've got to pass this little tidbit of information on that nofi passed on to me. I am a big fan of D'Addario Chromes and have them on both of my Precisions, but on my Tacoma/Olympia nofi told me to try a set of La'Bella tapewounds. I can't tell you what a great piece of advice that was ;D. Never before have I had a set of strings make such a major difference on an instrument :o. On an electric/ ABG they are just amazing. They smooth out the sound so much and give such a mellow , woody upright type of sound. I'm sure the Chromes go a long way in that direction too, but you really have to give the La'Bella tapes a try.
Rick

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
Now that I read Al comment on practice with an acoustic I have to agree. I do a lot of personal practice with mine. I also find it great for working out lines from recordings. The last 2 songs of mine that we recorded were conceived on my Acoustic as well. Even though they are pretty loud rockers.
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
Hey Pilgrim,
Although I'm not familiar with the AE-40 , I've got to pass this little tidbit of information on that nofi passed on to me. I am a big fan of D'Addario Chromes and have them on both of my Precisions, but on my Tacoma/Olympia nofi told me to try a set of La'Bella tapewounds. I can't tell you what a great piece of advice that was ;D. Never before have I had a set of strings make such a major difference on an instrument :o. On an electric/ ABG they are just amazing. They smooth out the sound so much and give such a mellow , woody upright type of sound. I'm sure the Chromes go a long way in that direction too, but you really have to give the La'Bella tapes a try.
Rick

Labella flats are my strings of choice for all my electrics!  I am a real fan of them, and find they last just about forever.

I actually got lucky with the Chromes - they BARELY fit through the bridge on the AE-40.  If I try tapewounds they'd have to be a very light scale, or the tail end of the string wouldn't go through.  I'd need to enlarge the holes in the bridge. 

That's not a bad think to think about when replacing strings on an A/E bass - some of them have pretty small bridge holes compared to the electrics.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2010, 06:18:10 AM »
Won a project Ibanez Destroyer X on Ebay, went to pick it up in a parking lot in Jacksonville.  The seller also had brought this, the neck had major bowage going on.  I took a wrench to it on the spot and got it fairly straight and said, "How about an extra $20?"  Done deal with a form fitting gig bag.
Finished straightening the neck and it's stayed that way for over 2 years.  With a piece of foam under the strings next to the bridge it sounds good w/or without an amp.  Long scale, 22 frets.  Strings are whatever came with it but I, too, am partial to both LaBellas and Chromes.  It's a "Grand",  Chinese of course, probably cost less than $200 new.  Binding everywhere.  Fun to play!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:23 AM »
That's right purty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Cheap basses are the best! :D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 02:01:28 PM »
labella tapes are 115-70. pretty fat.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »

Hey now......

I got the rear end of the car thing covered  ;)

The only bass at chez Veronica that isn't a Thunderbird, my Washburn AB20 - a very fun bass!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »
Cool diagonal sound holes/slots on that one!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2010, 06:52:18 AM »
labella tapes are 115-70. pretty fat.

They are fat but it's a whole different feel than a fat metal string. They are not real high tension or stiff in any way. when you play a metal  110 E string , you instantly know you're playing a heavy guage string. When you play a tapewound 115 E string  you don't even think about the fact that it's a heavier guage string.
Of course that doesn't help if you have to start drilling and filing to make them fit. In my case, it was well worth the slight modification because I know I'll be playing on tapes for a long time ;D.
Rick