Author Topic: Fender Bass Neck  (Read 845 times)

patman

• View Profile
Fender Bass Neck
« on: August 26, 2009, 01:14:13 PM »
Have an older mexi-precision that just won't hold string tension gracefully---already has a bunch of washers in it...question is...

Is the heel shape/size, length etc for mighty mite/allparts or other precision replacement necks universal

As in...if I buy a replacement neck made for a Fender Precision, am I pretty well assured that it's going to fit?

Hornisse

Re: Fender Bass Neck
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 01:24:06 PM »
Not sure about Mighty Mite necks but I'm sure that Allparts ones will fit.  You can watch Ebay for used MIM necks as they show up often.  I put a MIM Jazz neck on my old P bass and it fit perfectly.  And you can use your old hardware on them too.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
I had an 80's Mighty Might neck on an early 90's P and it fit perfectly. I'm pretty sure that still holds.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »
If you buy something that's "Licensed by Fender" such as Warmoth or Mighty Mite, you're probably gonna be fine.

jmcgliss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:20:07 AM »
Not to be alarming, but some minor clearancing may be necessary to allow for a pre-drilled neck to lay flat in the pocket without binding on the sides or at the heel. Everyone publishes that 2.5" Fender heel dimension, but sometimes a few .001" can make a difference.  It's part of the fun.

I've used Fender MIM, Mighty Mite, and Warmoth necks for various builds and was never satisfied until I applied some localized sanding to the sides of the neck (and resealed with Tru-Oil).  In the worst case, the replacement maple neck was thicker top-to-bottom than the MIM rosewood by a substantial amount and required a belt sander modification to allow for reasonable bridge saddle height.
RD Artist w/ Victory headstock (sold)
2009 Epiphone Thunderbird IV silverburst (mods pending)
2005 Lakland Decade Dark Star | 2009 55-02 Chi-Sonic
2005 Dark Star P-Bass | 1986 Pedulla Buzz |
Eden heads with various 12's and 10's | Ampeg B-15N