Author Topic: Pealed an Artec !  (Read 2640 times)

pilgrim9

• View Profile
Pealed an Artec !
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
I pealed the plastic off one of the Artec pickups in my new Bachbird and it makes a big difference in the tone and output over just grinding down the corners to fit when you are using the Chrome metal covers! Really brought the bass to life.
If you push something hard enough it must fall over.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Pealed an Artec !
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »

Ahhhh yes! There's nothing so satifying as stripping some black plastic off of a pickup  :o

Just don't tell Uwe!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
I pealed the plastic off one of the Artec pickups in my new Bachbird and it makes a big difference in the tone and output over just grinding down the corners to fit when you are using the Chrome metal covers! Really brought the bass to life.

If you haven't done so already, swap the pots out as well. Nice CTS pots really help these basses out a lot!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

pilgrim9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Pots & cap switched by the previous owner so no work on that. It just sounded muffled with the chrome plastic under metal.

Ahhhh yes! There's nothing so satifying as stripping some black plastic off of a pickup  :o
Just don't tell Uwe!
Pealing chrome plated plastic so I think I`m safe on this. I am gathering the parts to switch my sunburst Epi classic to all chrome. I think sunburt Tbirds look so much better with chrome.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:49 AM »
Ah, another chrome fetish thread is about to explode!   :o
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
Got any pics of the pickup after the peeling? How difficult was to peel it?
Its the first time I hear that a plastic pickup cover alters the sound, that's interesting.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »
Got any pics of the pickup after the peeling? How difficult was to peel it?
Its the first time I hear that a plastic pickup cover alters the sound, that's interesting.

What alters the sound is the metal cover.  With  proper test equipment and procedure that can be proved.  Removing the plastic has very little effect, if any.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
Losing the plastic could possibly loosen the coils and make them more microphonic, which definitely will make them sound more "alive," but most folks wouldn't like that.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »
I presume the covering is "metalised" and therefore could have a minor effect as it's so thin, but putting it back in a thicker can could be helping to accentuate the field...?

Something for the alchemists amongst us...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

pilgrim9

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:45 AM »
The plastic covers are chromed inside and out so pretty easy to peal it, the epoxy does not stick real well to chrome. Just a block of epoxy with a wire sticking out. The big difference might be getting the pickup closer to the strings? The bass just sounds brighter now not microphonic. The plastic is about 1/16" and there was another 1/16" of some kind of glue holding the metal covers on. The metal covers are about half as thick of material than the plastic covers. I also put a little foam under the bridge side of both pickups to get them to set parallel to the strings with the 2 hole covers.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:28 AM »
The plastic covers are chromed inside and out so pretty easy to peal it, the epoxy does not stick real well to chrome. Just a block of epoxy with a wire sticking out. The big difference might be getting the pickup closer to the strings? The bass just sounds brighter now not microphonic. The plastic is about 1/16" and there was another 1/16" of some kind of glue holding the metal covers on. The metal covers are about half as thick of material than the plastic covers. I also put a little foam under the bridge side of both pickups to get them to set parallel to the strings with the 2 hole covers.

Aha!  Pretty sure the difference is related to removing the metal covers...are they steel (very magnetic) or nickel silver (slightly magnetic, your new covers are made of that.  Steel is used to spread the magnetic field, a good idea with the slug magnet Artecs and also to shield the coils.  Seymour Duncan uses metal screen to do that.  Your new NS covers do a similar thing, providing a shield and affecting the mag field.  They also 'sweeten' the sound.  ThunderBucker could explain it more clearly but that's the best I can do.

Getting the magnets closer to the strings also has a huge effect on sound, emphasizing treble over bass.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »
Stainless steel... the better quality products are non magnetic - go check them folks - if a magnet sticks it's cheap steel... taken enough of it to the scrappies over the years... best quality is reserved for fish-prep, which has a slightly bluer sheen... absolute bugger to work with...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
Stainless steel... the better quality products are non magnetic - go check them folks - if a magnet sticks it's cheap steel... taken enough of it to the scrappies over the years... best quality is reserved for fish-prep, which has a slightly bluer sheen... absolute bugger to work with...

"Nickel silver" also varies in magnetism depending on percentage of nickel in the alloy with copper and zinc.  Brass is absolute shite when used for covers, really muffles tone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:15:27 AM by dadagoboi »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »
What is the best answer, I wonder...

What's Steve's view - iirc, you say he's experimented with field studies...?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
What is the best answer, I wonder...

What's Steve's view - iirc, you say he's experimented with field studies...?

I'll see if I can get him to post something.  He's dealing with a few family issues.  I'm at the limit of my pickup knowledge, I'll be needing some hip boots if I make any further comments.