Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

Setting a neck

<< < (3/5) > >>

drbassman:
This is the best method for determining neck angle I have seen.  This is a good forum too.  Lots of really good, expert builders hang out there.  I only go there when I need to though, because many of them are arrogant a**holes and they love to put you down while they share their knowledge.  Not a friendly place many times, but great information!

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036&st=0&start=0

Barklessdog:
Not friendly is an understatement!

--- Quote ---Ok, i am going to ask that no one directly answers your questions, simply because you will learn a lot more by spending a few minutes with a pencil, ruler, and some measurements on paper. The process is real simple, and thats why i started this tutorial. Everything you need is right here.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---I am officially done with this forum. You guys are the biggest bunch of condesending a-holes I've ever met. I've tried to be nice. Just wanting to understand a couple of things BEFORE I actually build a guitar. You know, before I buy parts. I can't draw anything out to scale without having the parts in front of me. But no, I'm just another idiot right?

I wonder... Is it just a certain type of personality that gravitates towards building guitars? Maybe it's the same disease that you find in guitar shops.

Anyway... I don't need the negativity. So, congradualations... I'm gone. No need to reply, I won't be reading it. You folks can go back to building yer 9 string cocobolo basses and I'll leave you alone.

By the way...

--- End quote ---

Actually I measured the angle that the Ripper had before I removed the neck. I was planning on using that angle since it has to be the same as my RD, which has a Kahler.

I had to rout the swimming pool first to be sure that angle will work. I was going to clamp things up and check the angle with the bridge on and a bass string

drbassman:
Yep, PGF can be a pain which is why I don't post there any more (I sdid throw the 60 NR final pics up just to tease them!), but read everything I can when I need to.  The important thing about angle is the bridge to nut measurement I think.  I actually do as the PGF guy recommends, I get all of my parts, measure them and then do a life sized drawing on some long sheets of paper I have just for this purpose.  Once you do that, it all really does make sense.  You just need to know the heights of ALL of your components.

sniper:
nice little diddy for figuring out a neck angle:

http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/NeckAngle.CFM

ps: i'm still around players

Barklessdog:

--- Quote from: old puppy on May 01, 2008, 08:38:18 PM ---nice little diddy for figuring out a neck angle:

http://www.tundraman.com/jigs/NeckAngle.CFM

ps: i'm still around players

--- End quote ---

great link Old Puppy!

Old Puppy teaching new tricks!    ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version