Author Topic: Sunn 200s  (Read 2805 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Sunn 200s
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:18:27 AM »
So, I've read some reviews of the Sunn 200 s and it sounds like a nice amp.  Could easily handle my cafe gigs.  What do you folks know/think about this amp?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Sunn 200s
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
I like mine a lot. It's not terribly heavy and has a great tone. I loaned it to a buddy when his new Genz Benz took a dump and a couple of the guys in his band liked it so much they asked me to sell it to him!

Been told they are 60 watts but they are a loud 60 watts.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Thanks Denis, I was wondering if you still had yours.  I think I could get one for a decent price just for fun and it would handle my small venue easily.  Also for home practicing it could be fun.  I'm getting into the amps more these days and less about basses.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
The old Sunn 200s is one of my absolute favorite sounding bass amps. Raw, strong and pushy tube sound ;D. 8)
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
Thanks Rick.  I'm still considering one.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:37:53 PM »
They're GREAT amps with a tone/dynamic response midway between Ampeg's punch and Fender's round tone.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:32:19 PM »
great amps getting pricey but still decent priced.  Another amp you may want to think about is either a Ampeg B25B or B15S amp.  Both are still affordable and great for small venues.  The B15S is cool because it is a fliptop but it weighs a ton.  i usually move my head separate from the cab but if using the cab i close it up obviously.....IIRC these are 60watts RMS  about 140 ish peak...  and 8/4/2 ohm which the B25B doesn't do. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:18:53 AM »
Here's a 200S for not a terrible price though the back panel is missing. I'm sure the guy who made the cabinet for mine could be contacted to make a replacment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-SUNN-200S-Bass-Amplifier-Great-Condition-/251255092172?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item3a7ff873cc
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
The old Sunn 200s is one of my absolute favorite sounding bass amps. Raw, strong and pushy tube sound ;D. 8)
Rick

Same here.  Sort of the amp I regret selling.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 05:17:47 AM »
Same here.  Sort of the amp I regret selling.

I never actually owned one, but a band I played with right out of high school did a gig with Spirit and Jethro Tull and one of our roadies accidently packed up Jethro Tulls spare Sunn 200s head with our stuff. We tried to return it but never hooked up with anyone  . I used it for rehearsals for a couple of years until we broke up. I loved that thing and I should have bought it from my guitar player who laid claim to it. Not snagging that thing is one of very few equipment regrets :sad:. There was just something about that sound that really appealed to me, but in those days it was all about monster level power and they were more in the medium range. I was an ass ;D.
Rick

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »

Conrad Engineering (c.sundholm@comcast.net)

Add to contacts

6/14/13

To: clarence andrews

Picture of Conrad Engineering

Hi CW, found your request on a former computer in my junk email folder, my bad.

Sorry I can't help you on this one.  I could build you a 200S on a chassis that is not identical – vertical front.  

Conrad Sundholm

503-xxx-xxxx

Ask and they will answer! ... cw

I have his number but if anyone wants it they will have to send me an email asking for it. ... cw

I bought an old Dynaco chassis and am planning on using a London Power "F" preamp revoiced for bass for a preamp to the thing. Probably put it in a new cab of some sorts covered with blonde Tolex to match my rig bottoms.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW