Author Topic: Mardi Gras -- Fat Tuesday  (Read 544 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Mardi Gras -- Fat Tuesday
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »

Had a tremendous haul of Mardi Gras beads and desirable painted coconuts from the ZULU parade floats. The ZULU coconuts are the Holy Grail of Mardi Gras throws. I've never caught one before but Tuesday, my GF and I walked away with THIRTY THREE of them!!  My bud who plays sax and marched in a dozen parades the last week saw our pile and just said "HOLY SH*T...Incredible!"

What happened was it was crazy cold for New Orleans. It came within a couple degrees of being the coldest Mardi Gras on record (which was in 1899) but ended up missing it. Plus by noon it was raining pretty hard. So, the crowds were not as heavy as usual. Plus we decided to stand in front of the infamous Iberville Projects, closed since hurricane Katrina but a murder hotspot? plus my GF and I are both over 6-ft and towered over anyone nearby.

So, a fun day....even a strange day. My GF was insistent on is stopping on to see her brother, who works at a gay bar in the French Quarter. In got to walk in wearing lots of beads and feathers, dripping wet with my hair down to my ass...and holding coconuts. To make it worse my GF ordered me a Southern Comfort, kalua and MILK.....a very "manly" drink to yell out.  HAHAHAHAHAHA.
And that wasn't even the strangest part of the day.

Pic of my haul with my New Orleans themed TBirds....

http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/mc2NYNO/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0a5140ca.jpg.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Mardi Gras -- Fat Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
What indignities did the T-birds have to perform in order to get the beads?

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 04:33:13 PM »
Cool!! Sounds like a good time despite the weather. I haven't been to Mardi Gras since we moved out of the area almost 10 years ago now. We used to have one of the Zulu coconuts on display in our house....until it rotted  :o  Think it took about 9 months for it to go bad.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
What indignities did the T-birds have to perform in order to get the beads?

Once I got to Bourbon Street  everyone on the balconies started yelling at my sexy TBirds, "Show us your pots! Show us your pots!"

And off came the cavity covers....and everyone threw beads down to them.

Dirty birds  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:59:07 PM by mc2NY »