Author Topic: Back from ze House of Pain ... (Dave Warning: Spalted Maple Content!!)  (Read 27532 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Hi folks!  :mrgreen: This is the way we make Chili up in the north! We call it Gibson chili! Sometimes we even call the day after the chili The Thunderbird day. Can you imagine!

2 dried ancho-peppers
1 chipotle pepper
1 birdseye-pepper
1 jalapeno-pepper
olive oil
10, at least, pieces of garlic, chopped quite rough
2 kilos of meat
About 200 centiliters of light beer
a handfull of flour
1/2 coffeecup of chili powder
1 coffeecup dark meat broth
1 spoonfull cummin
1 spoonfull of oregano
1 spoon of grinded coriander seed
1 teaspoon of sugar
salt
(masa harina)

Start with the pepper. Use rubber gloves. Take away all except the fruit walls. Put it in some water, cook for about 15 minutes under lid. Let the pepper get cool.
Fry the garlic, soft, until it's light brown. Put it in a big pot on the stove.
Cut the meat in one centimeter big pieces. Fry the pieces until they're brown all around. Put the meat in the big pot with the garlic. Stir.
Mix the flour and the chilipowder, sprinkle it over the contents in the pot.
Strain off the pepper water. Mash the pepper, put it in the pot. Mix with the meat and the garlic.
Pour the pepper water, the meat broth and the light beer in the pot until it covers the meat. Let it boil! But just for a while. Turn down the heat so the pot just simmer.
Add the cummin, oregano and choriander. Stir often, so the meat don't get burnt. Let the pot cook until the meat starts to fall into smaller pieces. It might take a couple of hours, but no more then 3 hours.
Serve with corn chips, cheese, guacamole, maybe some lettuce, and beer or wine. And, of course, tequila. En masse!

Just one thing. Do not forget about the rubber gloves when taking care of the different peppers. Otherwise you might as well use a soldering iron if you stop to pick your nose.

This version of the chili is, of course, a softer Swedish one. I guess there's lots of Gibon-related recepies out there, and really hope we can get them alive here, in this very forum!

That looks pretty good but I would make one suggestion - replace the olive oil with bacon fat - really!

The other thing that catches my attention is that you can get masa in Sweden!

One other thing, you can probably skip the flour - the masa will thicken it on it's own.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 05:48:49 PM by Lightyear »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Stjofön... Thunder-bum - extra fuel for those colder northern days... ;)

Robert... I've had chefs come out of the kitchen in disbelief at the way I eat chillies... yep, I've had my share of issues and had the odd freak chilli that was just plain suicidal...

Buzz and Mark... I just finished working out the wiring I'm going to put in the PC, which I've got to finalise then I'll post up to get someone to confirm, but I am planning a very radical refin for the Hohner Jack, as a homage to the ol' Tequilabird... gotta finish what I've started first... ;)

Before our friends moved to Devon we used to have a regular night out to get a seriously hot curry known as a Phall - just veggies or meat (lamb - for my buddy), no rice, tarka dahl, Mumbai Aloo (hot-n-spicy potatoes), chapatis or nan bread, all washed down with a pint or three of Kingfisher... if it hit the spot I'd start to hiccup and my buddies lazy eye would wander off by 5 or 10 degrees...

Hot curries - the Indian Asians rarely make HOT food for theselves - it is common practice for Indians to put a bowl of chillies on the table for those who wish to live dangerously...

Joe... that definitely looks the part... :vader:

Yeah, but do they make a cream that contains dairy for that ;D

I've heard of people that use ice-cubes... ;D :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
"That looks pretty go but I would make one suggestion - replace the olive oil with bacon fat - really!"
Now, that seems like a very good idea! I'll try that the next time. When I make my hamburgers, with Sambal Badjak, Soya, and garlic mixed into the minced meat, I've recently started frying bacon first of all, and then using the bacon in the burgers, and at the same time using the fat for frying. But I never thought of using the same method in the chili. Now, I will. Thanks!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
That would be popular in the home-countries... would suit my Nordic blood, but for my soft-southern upbringing...

I'll stick with the olive oil and substitute certain other items... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
"That looks pretty go but I would make one suggestion - replace the olive oil with bacon fat - really!"
Now, that seems like a very good idea! I'll try that the next time. When I make my hamburgers, with Sambal Badjak, Soya, and garlic mixed into the minced meat, I've recently started frying bacon first of all, and then using the bacon in the burgers, and at the same time using the fat for frying. But I never thought of using the same method in the chili. Now, I will. Thanks!

There was a semi-famous burger joint close to us here, Called Tookies, that used to grind raw bacon into their beef - usually round or chuck - about 85% lean and I think the bacon content was maybe 10% of the overall mix - you will not have a better burger - period.  It was killer in more ways than one ;)

Oh, and what is Sambal Badjak and Soya? 

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile

Oh, and what is Sambal Badjak and Soya? 

Sambal Badjak is an Indonesian or Malaysian hot chili paste.
Soya is just normal soy sauce in this context
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Oh that sure looks good Ken.

I like a simple Colorado style chili verde. Green chiles and cubed pork loin.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Oh, I forgot to mention that the chili recipe above don't make the chili so hot that it's uneatable. The long cooking time takes the hottest out of the hot. Which means the end result is still quite hot, but most of all the peppers just leaves their taste to the chili. Comprende?
So now we all know how to take the hottest out of the hot. But how do we put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
And further more, and this is a hard one: How do we put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile

One other thing, you can probably skip the flour - the masa will thicken it on it's own.

Or go with the okra to thicken it.

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
What burns on the way in, burns on the way out...

I ate a  vegitarian indian resteraunt once ordered a hot curry dish- will never forget that experience.

Who else can have both ends burning with such style (love the go go dancers)?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
John, this is for you: Mexican chimps don't like it hot

Lightyear

• View Profile
Or go with the okra to thicken it.

Now you're talking Creole or Cajun ;D  Still, okra is best prepared fried ;)

Lightyear

• View Profile
Sambal Badjak is an Indonesian or Malaysian hot chili paste.
Soya is just normal soy sauce in this context

Thanks, I have an inlaw that was born and raised in Yugoslavia and they have premixed seasoning thing that's widely available that used to season meats - I was wondering if the the first was something similar.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
I was first introduced to okra in the Brixton markets in London by a Jamaican woman who told me how and what to cook it with. I then realised that I'd already been eating it in Indian and Thai food. Haven't eaten much Cajun or Creole food. Would love to give it a go though.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I already said this in another thread but I can't say it often enough:

Okra.  :puke:   Watching the slime ooze out while it's being fried is almost as bad as the taste.