Author Topic: The placing of Thunderbird II pickup  (Read 12356 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: The placing of Thunderbird II pickup
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2013, 10:55:16 PM »
That I know... I recorded some of the sounds of the split coil as a reference for when I (eventually :rolleyes:) get around to fitting the Lollar pup in the PC...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »
Novak Fatbucker, customer supplied for an NR I'm building.  Two single coils in series.  Note how big the wire visible in the bottom of the right coil is.  It will sound very different from a Mudbucker...I don't know exactly how I'm going to adjust the thing yet, the screws are ornamental.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2013, 07:06:02 AM »
^^^ It would have to be clearer, wouldn't it? Bigger wire = fewer winds = less mud.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
^^^ It would have to be clearer, wouldn't it? Bigger wire = fewer winds = less mud.

Yep, should be.  Also a lot cheaper in terms of copper.  It's a very nice looking pickup, looking forward to seeing how it sounds

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2013, 09:41:48 AM »
the screws are ornamental.

You mean the central 4 screws? I think they don't play much role in this design anyway. That's a very nice pickup, please keep us (clip)posted! :D.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
You mean the central 4 screws? I think they don't play much role in this design anyway. That's a very nice pickup, please keep us (clip)posted! :D.

On the originals they do have an effect on string response depending on height.  Will keep you posted but the build is fourth in line after basses going to Japan and Italy.  Probably late October before it's installed.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »
Yes, but the effect is minimal, that's what I mean. October doesn't seem very far away... ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
Yes, but the effect is minimal, that's what I mean. October doesn't seem very far away... ;)

You're right, they don't do a lot!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »

...to a point: heavier gauge wire is going to have a larger inductive potential which means more current output as opposed to higher voltage output of overwound thinner gauge wire, and more current equals more low end. My guess is that the Novak should have a similar low end to a Sidewinder without being as nasal and limited in the highs.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2013, 02:13:26 AM »
Has anyone "mapped" the magnetic field of pups...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2013, 02:39:19 AM »
...to a point: heavier gauge wire is going to have a larger inductive potential which means more current output as opposed to higher voltage output of overwound thinner gauge wire, and more current equals more low end. My guess is that the Novak should have a similar low end to a Sidewinder without being as nasal and limited in the highs.

Upon closer inspection this IS a sidewinder, Novak's mod being smaller coils (.5 x .675 ") and big wire.  Reads 13.7k.  He has (had?) another version that uses tele size bobbins straight up with rod magnets.

Another factor (according to Steve):what makes a mudbucker so muddy-over the top- is the millions of turns of tiny wire raises the resistance so high that the interwinding capacitance kills the highs.  So if you want a lot of output but keep the highs you need to get the R down, and fatter wire will do that.  If you still need a lot of turns, bigger wire needs more room, but a mudbucker can has LOTS of room.

Has anyone "mapped" the magnetic field of pups...?

Mapping magnets is something SS does for "fun".  This involves improving electric motor efficiency by mapping the magnets leading to the optimum field.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=13f9cd527aa66972&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Dd84ad732a7%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13f9cd527aa66972%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26realattid%3Df_himd9usb0%26zw&sig=AHIEtbTF71-koUXseQFW2TvHVE-kOXYGkw

I guess he could do pups but there's really no benefit I can see.  Sounds good, is good!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »
Go to bed Carlo... it's past your bed time...!  ;)

(I need to sign up for that one but the tiling beckons or SWMBO will be on my tail)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »
mmm interesting pickup .a full fat sidewinder with added clarity could be mighty tempting.how many k ohms is it?
Louder bass!.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
mmm interesting pickup .a full fat sidewinder with added clarity could be mighty tempting.how many k ohms is it?

It's neither full nor fat:
...smaller coils (.5 x .675 ") and big wire.  Reads 13.7k.