Author Topic: Bass solos....  (Read 11951 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Bass solos....
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
I have never met a drummer that like moon's playing.   Guitarists usually just want a metronome so they can solo over it..
Just us bass players love it.....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »
I have never met a drummer that like moon's playing.   Guitarists usually just want a metronome so they can solo over it..
Just us bass players love it.....

I can't stick Moon's playing (see what I did there?). I've always seen him as by far image over substance. For me it was JAE who carried that band.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 04:01:42 PM »
Got to second that... I thought he was a good drummer and a great British eccentric with JAE being a lead bassist and PT on rhythm... no denying RD's voice mind you...

I still hold the belief that virtually nothing of worth was produced post Moon; yes that's controversial but it's purely an opinion...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Here's a bass intro that I used to love and play around with.  I never worked the whole thing out.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
I love Keith Moon's drumming, as well as that of his lovechild Clem Burke.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 01:18:40 AM »
Chris White in The Zombies (UK) made quite an impact with his very short, melodic, and dynamic bass solo between first refrain, and second verse, in the bands first hit, She's not there. The two tones at the start of the song ain't to bad either! And the bass? Well, check and see, one more time for me, as The Marvelletes once put it!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 05:20:07 AM »
Good one!    We could dig up a million Chris Squire examples, but I thought that at least one Dennis Dunaway example needed to be posted.  I always loved how he floated around a song.  IMO, Alice lost a key element in the sound when Dennis was gone.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 12:35:03 PM »
Good one!    We could dig up a million Chris Squire examples, but I thought that at least one Dennis Dunaway example needed to be posted.  I always loved how he floated around a song.  IMO, Alice lost a key element in the sound when Dennis was gone.

Stealing Lou Reed's guitar players was a good idea. His rhythm section, not so much.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 03:56:03 PM »
Most bass solos suffer from what most drum solos suffer from - they are not engulfed by the other instruments' harmony and rhythm. It astounds me to this day why most people take that for granted.

Don't tell me a bass solo cannot be musical and add to a song, here at 5.28:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
Nice example, Uwe.  That solo was done with economy and taste.  Very tasteful.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 05:55:59 AM »
Listen to Scott LaFaro

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2012, 04:52:35 AM »
Listen to Scott LaFaro

I used to have a double album set of bass solos that was released in the early 70s (I think) . Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Charlie Mingus, Stanley Clarke(the new guy), Monk Montgomery, Scott LaFaro and a whole bunch of others. Scott LaFaro did some of what I would consider the best of all of them.
Rick 

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2012, 05:49:21 AM »
Most bass solos suffer from what most drum solos suffer from - they are not engulfed by the other instruments' harmony and rhythm. It astounds me to this day why most people take that for granted.

Don't tell me a bass solo cannot be musical and add to a song, here at 5.28:

VERY NICE.  I've always tended to noodle like that, but never did it live.   I just can't get into all of those Bass Player mag type solo stuff, not that I can't appreciate the talent and time that is there.

One of my biggest influences as a bass player is David Gilmour!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »
i think a true solo should be spontaneous and improvised. that's why jazz guys are so good (musically educated) and most rock guys suck. that little solo was nice but sounds composed. on the other hand jaco wrote many of his solos as well. go figure.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2012, 07:40:44 AM »
I think there's a middle ground.  If you're familiar with the number and have played it many times, you have the chance to "noodle around" in your practice time and translate that approach into performance.  It's not necessarily composed, but it may be comfortable territory. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."