Author Topic: AVATAR shoulda WON!!! WTF??  (Read 7588 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: AVATAR shoulda WON!!! WTF??
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 03:04:21 AM »
Enemy at the Gates was very good (it had horrible reviews in Germany for allegedly reducing the horror of Stalingrad for all concerned to an apolitical sniper duel), all three major roles (commie sniper, commie political commissar and the kraut sniper) were well played and it was a releif to for once see a political commissar not just as some bureaucrat commie henchman, but as a communist patriot and a man with ethics too. And I agree, it gave you an idea of Stalingrad just as Full Metal Jacket gave you an idea of urban war in a Vietnamese city.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:25 AM »
It's a testament to George C. Scott's superior acting abilities that I was shocked later in life to find that he was the polar opposite of Patton in temperament, politics, and world outlook. It was really hard at first to square that guy with the badass that starred in Patton.

Good point!  He absolutely lived that role - and it was antithetical to his real personality.  I completely believed his portrayal. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
He was great in Hard Core.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2010, 08:37:48 PM »
An often overlooked, but VERY good US-Pacific themed WWII movie is the The Thin Red Line. It was eclipsed in popularity by Pvt. Ryan, which came out shortly after to more more publicity, but was superior in many ways. In it, just to hear Woody Harrelson say, "I blew my butt off!" without a hint of comedy tells you lots about that movie.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Anybody else bought the DVD and was surprised by the 16/9 format...?

Looks likely that an extended version will be in the cinemas for the summer and a special ed. DVD for Christmas...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...