Author Topic: Mod Collection SG Bass w/TB pickups in mid+bridge  (Read 5482 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Mod Collection SG Bass w/TB pickups in mid+bridge
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »
Then what about all those muds on Fenders? Sheehan, Cliff Burton, etc.?

BTW being a life long atheist, Kosher doesn't mean a lot to me  ;)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2022, 09:21:13 AM »
As for the price, it may even be worse than it looks, too, depending on where you live.  In some states something listing for that price will have a sales tax of roughly $150+.  I'm glad I bought most of my basses before 2018 when the Supreme Court gave states the right to have an online sales tax.  You still may somehow be able to find a great deal like I did on my SG bass in 2020.  But I don't think anyone can get out of a sales tax, unfortunately. 

The sales tax thing really sucks. Applying it to used items that have changed hands through private sales is total BS. And the new "sales over $600 get reported to the IRS" borders on tyranny (OK, I'm getting dramatic now  ;D ) Sales tax where I live is 10%. It's 8% where I work, so I have stuff shipped there (I usually always did that anyway).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
The sales tax thing really sucks. Applying it to used items that have changed hands through private sales is total BS. And the new "sales over $600 get reported to the IRS" borders on tyranny (OK, I'm getting dramatic now  ;D ) Sales tax where I live is 10%. It's 8% where I work, so I have stuff shipped there (I usually always did that anyway).

Several years ago, when I was ordering something from Musician's Friend, the guy told me the biggest complaints he received were from people objecting to the sales tax.  He said it went on all day, every day.  Probably now people hate it just as much, but are now getting more used to it.  I remember at first it really was very annoying, though. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2022, 03:51:43 PM »

I mean, I'm fine paying my taxes, I just want it going to infrastructure, but 100% agree, used items should not be taxed. They got taxed the first time, screw off. I at least get by with a state that doesn't do income tax, to hell with paying income tax to the state AND national gov.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2022, 06:51:55 PM »
The Artecs are real mudbuckers in every way except that they're not manufactured by Gibson or a subsidiary.

Re the sales tax, every state has different thresholds for out of state businesses to have to collect sales tax. For example, in Minnesota, if an out of state seller has shipped fewer than 200 shipments or fewer than $100,000 in retail sales into the state in the previous 12 months, then they don't have to collect sales tax. There are plenty of smaller music stores that sell direct, who meet that definition. So before you deal with the big guys, check your state regulations and see if you can use this to avoid sales tax.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
The Artecs are real mudbuckers in every way except that they're not manufactured by Gibson or a subsidiary.

Re the sales tax, every state has different thresholds for out of state businesses to have to collect sales tax. For example, in Minnesota, if an out of state seller has shipped fewer than 200 shipments or fewer than $100,000 in retail sales into the state in the previous 12 months, then they don't have to collect sales tax. There are plenty of smaller music stores that sell direct, who meet that definition. So before you deal with the big guys, check your state regulations and see if you can use this to avoid sales tax.

I used to have five or six local music stores that I usually preferred going to more than buying anything online.  Now they've all gone out of business except one--one of my least favorites.  Now at least 90% of the time I end up buying from Sweetwater.  It wasn't a choice I deliberately made.  Things just turned out that way.  Of course in cases like this paying the online sales tax is a given. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 11:10:52 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2022, 08:48:51 AM »
New for this week: another black EB3, this one has a TB bridge pickup. $1,499

What does "open-coil" mean? I thought they all have now TB pickups inside the EB-style casings.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/DMO1I4385/SG-Standard-Bass/Ebony

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2022, 09:48:53 AM »
Man, I like that. I see some potential for a couple of different usable tones there.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2022, 10:46:01 AM »
New for this week: another black EB3, this one has a TB bridge pickup. $1,499

What does "open-coil" mean? I thought they all have now TB pickups inside the EB-style casings.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/DMO1I4385/SG-Standard-Bass/Ebony

The regular bridge pickup (now called Lead SG Bass) is the same mini-humbucker that's been used for years. This one appears to be like the NR reissue pickups.

Not sure what's under the cover or what they mean by open coil.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2022, 12:35:18 PM »
I was first.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
The regular bridge pickup (now called Lead SG Bass) is the same mini-humbucker that's been used for years. This one appears to be like the NR reissue pickups.

Not sure what's under the cover or what they mean by open coil.

It means they jimmied the cover off and broke the pickup coil.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2022, 02:29:34 PM »
Nice color.

When and why did they change the top bevel and pickguard shape?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2022, 12:05:03 AM »
It means they jimmied the cover off and broke the pickup coil.

That would have been my first thought, but even Gibson wouldn't advertise an open circuit as a feature. Or would they?  ;D

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2022, 02:13:22 AM »
Nice color.

When and why did they change the top bevel and pickguard shape?

Gibson has never been very consistent with the shape of the bevels on the horns.
Some EB-3's and EB-0's have pronounced bevels. Other only a shallow one. The SB-basses don't have a bevel at all.
All of the SG (reissue) basses have had the bevels and this shape pickguard since 2005.
I think the new shape is an improvement by the way. The old one looked kinda clumsy near the neck joint