Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106911 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #510 on: May 22, 2011, 01:26:47 PM »
wide medium 0149

or wide high 0154

i can't remember which. i think we decided that the 0149 was closest to the original Gibby size. what i don't know is what size you ordered but what ever it was, it will be fine.

The 149s.  I just couldn't remember if that's what you wanted.  I've got the dots in and will start on the frets.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 22, 2011, 03:11:25 PM »
Lots o' dots.................

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 22, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
What do you mean by original Gibby size? That does vary by era. The 0146 is closest to what they used on basses in the 60s until at least the early 70s. The 0149 is close to Fender's medium jumbo.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:33 AM »
it was basically a guess on my part Dave. i figured it is always easier to take metal off than replace it ala Plek if i have to go that route. i do have the utmost confidence in my builder and believe that a good hand fret job is superior to a Plek.

that fretboard does almost reach the body.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:32:59 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 23, 2011, 04:33:38 AM »
To me, frets are like shoes, everyone has different tastes.  There are enough choices these days, you can install just about anything you like.  I use 148s for my own basses, they feel good to me.  That's as scientific as I get!  I know some folks like to recreate the feel of frets from the past, but that's probably harder to do than one would think, especially if the particular fret wire isn't even made any longer.  We just have to make do with modern frets!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 23, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
Besides, some of what you may have liked on an old bass could be after a fret job, i.e. even lower than what was originally on it.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 23, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
Besides, some of what you may have liked on an old bass could be after a fret job, i.e. even lower than what was originally on it.

good point Dave.

the best frets i ever had were almost non existant (they were so flattened after i had a friend at the music shop take a stone to them) on and old EBO, but it got rid of the buzzes. Bill now has plenty of metal to work with.

that was the same one i painted black. it had NO orange peel after about 30 coats and all the associated sanding and polishing. prolly why i am such a Cataldo finish fan.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #517 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Well, I cheat.  It's on its way to 97 degrees here, I'm using an additive that improves the flow out. so there's almost no orange peel to sand out and the paint levels better.  This is in addition to a 'slow' thinner that protects against blush.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:51 PM »
Well, I cheat.  It's on its way to 97 degrees here, I'm using an additive that improves the flow out. so there's almost no orange peel to sand out and the paint levels better.  This is in addition to a 'slow' thinner that protects against blush.

Ahh yes but the serious question Carlo is this: Does the flow additive affect tone?  ;) ;D
Digresion our specialty!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #519 on: May 24, 2011, 04:38:48 AM »
Ahh yes but the serious question Carlo is this: Does the flow additive affect tone?  ;) ;D

Don't know about tone but definitely your mental state if you don't wear a respirator.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:12 AM »
Don't know about tone but definitely your mental state if you don't wear a respirator.

Carlo: That might be a hangover from the 60's!

Doc: I am not too worried about the back of the neck even though some dirtball carved his name in it. Just steel wool it close to wood and buff it. I will be happy there. It is part of the history of the bass as it is now.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 24, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
No problem on touching up the beck of the neck art work.  I am looking at maybe using the 148 frets as the tang might be a bit too long on the 149s.  I'll do some measuring and decide from there.

Got evening commitments for a couple nights, so I'll get back to it later in the week.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 07:10:58 PM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 31, 2011, 04:28:02 AM »
Just got back from 4 days in NC with the in-laws and our kids.  Back to work now!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 31, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
Just got back from 4 days in NC with the in-laws and our kids.  Back to work now!

always good to send time with the family. i am missing my kids so much i'm thinking of moving back to Missouri. i'll let you know if you have to send that somewhere other than Texas.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 01, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Go with the flow, Carlo... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...