Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106920 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:16 AM »
welcome back. i have been enjoying the 90+ weather here in Pecos.  :-\
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:22 PM »
welcome back. i have been enjoying the 90+ weather here in Pecos.  :-\

Wow, 90!  We really liked the "spring" weather in NO.  Only got humid the last day.

I got the logo installed and all of the routing finished.  I'll post some pics later.  Gonna drill the control plate and grain fill the sanded edges with clear filler next.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 24, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
So far today............

Logo finished.

Holes for dowels drilled.  Hope you never want to remove it!  I only had 3/8" dowels, so they were the winners.  Couldn't get the ejector to fit in the pocket!!!   :P

I'll finish the control plate later and do some more grain filling tonight.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
when you glue the fretboard, use some type of glue that an be heated so as to be able to remove the fretboard if needed. hyde glue?

might give someone in the future a clue by writing "doweled neck, remove fretboard to remove dowels" then gluing a small piece of paper that says such at the bottom of the pup pocket. just in case. an idea that i got from my orthodontist who put my name on my dentures that way.

round the treble outside corner of the neck pocket just a smidge so i don't amputate my left hand trying to reach the upper registers. that corner looks a little sharp.

i am getting real excited about this now, that logo looks great there = it had to be in that spot. good work.

think i'll try to start getting the parts together for the gold carved top build so i can do some layout shots.  might be awhile though, just dropped over 1700+ in my fathers old van and i have never approached you about building it. i have talked with Bruce Johnson about the neck on it but am still undecided. he shot me a price about doing the build less the cost of a finish.

i'm seriously thinking a Florida paint job would work for me but again i have not approached "spray" about it. he is a real busy guy these days but a fellow would have to travel far to find as smooth a finished paint job.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:21:42 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
Well, I've only used Titebond and everything I've read and seen shows it's removable via warm moist heat.  The hide glues are very touchy and having never used them, I'm not ready to experiement on your neck.  So, if it's all the same to you, I'll use the Titebond original and make a note of the dowels/glue on a note in the pup cavity.  It should be fine.  With a new rod and a flat neck to start with, I'm expecting the finished product to last quite a while.

I'll make sure the edge of the neck pocket isn't a problem for you.  Over and out!

when you glue the fretboard, use some type of glue that an be heated so as to be able to remove the fretboard if needed. hyde glue?

might give someone in the future a clue by writing "doweled neck, remove fretboard to remove dowels" then gluing a small piece of paper that says such at the bottom of the pup pocket. just in case. an idea that i got from my orthodontist who put my name on my dentures that way.

round the treble outside corner of the neck pocket just a smidge so i don't amputate my left hand trying to reach the upper registers. that corner looks a little sharp.

i am getting real excited about this now, that logo looks great there = it had to be in that spot. good work.

think i'll try to start getting the parts together for the gold carved top build so i can do some layout shots.  might be awhile though, just dropped over 1700+ in my fathers old van and i have never approached you about building it. i have talked with Bruce Johnson about the neck on it but am still undecided. he shot me a price about doing the build less the cost of a finish.

i'm seriously thinking a Florida paint job would work for me but again i have not approached "spray" about it. he is a real busy guy these days but a fellow would have to travel far to find as smooth a finished paint job.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 24, 2011, 06:02:40 PM »
IMHO hide glue is way overrated for general guitar work. Too much water in it to glue a relatively thin fretboard down without warping. Titebond has water in it too but not near as much. As Bill said, it can be removed with steam and heat.

The hide glue proponents always talk about how it doesn't move while Titebond does. To my simple mind, an inflexible joint on a neck is a bug, not a feature. Necks move, you want a glue joint with a little flexibility.

Logo looks great there.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 24, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
i'm sure glad my builder knows what i need before i think of it. i might have him putting windshield wipers on a ducks butt if it were left to me! lol

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #427 on: April 25, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
i'm sure glad my builder knows what i need before i think of it. i might have him putting windshield wipers on a ducks butt if it were left to me! lol

Who knows, the duck might like it!   :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
there isn't very much left to change on this build, options are running out fast. i believe it is time to let the master spice the dish to perfection ... in other words i'm excusing myself.

great job Bill.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 25, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »
there isn't very much left to change on this build, options are running out fast. i believe it is time to let the master spice the dish to perfection ... in other words i'm excusing myself.

great job Bill.

Thanks CW, I'm gonna get creative with the knobs on the control plate.  Instead of a straight line across the middle, I'm gonna mount the knobs and jack in an arc following the lower contour.  It looks really cool that way.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 26, 2011, 03:26:40 PM »
My West-Country buddy's wife works as a home-help for the elderly - he nicknames her "Buttwash"... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #431 on: April 26, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »
My West-Country buddy's wife works as a home-help for the elderly - he nicknames her "Buttwash"... ;D

He is either a very brave or very bruised man.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
Yes...  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 27, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
Both!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
He's a (early) retired archaeologist and knows how to get himself into/out of a hole - the common joke we have is, as he persistently winds his daughter up (and she can give as good as it gets - found an injured fox on her way home from work and calmly dispatched it with a knife by cutting it's throat), she'll get to choose which home he goes into... :o

The oddest bit about our respective families is that they are as carnivoristic as we are vegetarian... (hmm... carnivores tend to eat vegetarians...) just seems to work... ;)