Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106920 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #315 on: March 29, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
True.  Any axiom or concept can (and sometimes should) be bent.  Then there's the folks who take it to the extreme, e.g. the Bauhaus movement.
Do you think that Gropius was extreme enough to have designed one of those singlecut basses with the big deformed hump?  ;)

That's an example of Outhaus design.

The Bauhaus attempted to simplify design to its most elegant, functional, undecorated form.  Unfortunately not what the masses want and very expensive to produce.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »
Most of buildings at RIT (Rochester Institute of Technology), where I taught for 12 years, were built in the mid-60's with a Bauhus "flair."  One of the ugliest campuses in the US!  Unless you're into squares, rectangles and boxes.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 01, 2011, 02:20:29 PM »
Hey Sniper,  I made an adjustment when I started routing the neck pocket and forgot to mention it!  Hope you don't fire me!  When I set up the jig, I routed the neck pocket at the 17th. fret because I felt the neck fit and looked better at that point.  It's less than .75" difference, but when I laid the bridge and fretboard on, I really liked the look and where the heel on the back of the neck came out.  It will give you a little better high register access and the balance is still really nice thus far.  Hope it's OK by you!

Still fits in the case perfectly too!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:44:05 PM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 01, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
Forgot to mention that I am sinking the neck in a little deeper and finishing up the neck pocket this week end.  Then we rout for the pup and control cavity and get serious again!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 01, 2011, 06:09:13 PM »
okay, your fired. undo everything and send it back.  ;D ;D

it couldn't fit in that case much finer and its okay about the repositioning. not a problem, it looks sexy right!

how thick is that body?

now i will not have to have you contour the back of that neck joint and it will leave enough Ash for the dowels to take a good purchase in that part of the neck and still have great upper register access.  ;D ;D

those chambers, the cross bracing, the Mahogany skunk stripe, the soft top and those dowels should make this a tone monster!

i should post pics of the new body i bought recently for my sculpted gold top bass build. creme binding, one 60's bucker and a Dimarzio G (creme color) in a chrome creme trim ring, with the chrome Warwick bridge and chrome Schaller tuners.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:18:19 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2011, 07:02:35 PM »
Thanks sniper!  More pictures to follow this weekend.

Post some pics of your new body!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 02, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
Neck pocket finished! 

Tell me again where you want the pup rout. 

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 02, 2011, 02:37:45 PM »
should intonate about 32.25" to 32.375" (32.092" scale plus string width plus a little for flats)

32" scale, poles at 24" from nut or 8" from bridge saddles (in swimming pool route with poles towards head). when one reverses the pickup (which is possible in swimming pool rout ... the template measurments i sent) then the poles will be a little less than 8" from the saddles ... poles towards bridge
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 02, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
should intonate about 32.25" to 32.375" (32.092" scale plus string width plus a little for flats)

32" scale, poles at 24" from nut or 8" from bridge saddles (in swimming pool route with poles towards head). when one reverses the pickup (which is possible in swimming pool rout ... the template measurments i sent) then the poles will be a little less than 8" from the saddles ... poles towards bridge

Just got home from a wedding.  I'll call ya tomorrow.  We're beat.  Going to bed.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2011, 06:16:51 AM »

Send that routing diagram again, I can't find it in my crappy Roadrunner email.  Thanks!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 03, 2011, 07:00:08 AM »
Here it is laid out with poles at 24" from the nut.  I love it!  Looks really cool, like the ole EB mudbucker up against the neck.  Very cool look IMHO.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 03, 2011, 07:12:05 AM »
Here tiz!

that placement is what the Tillman app showed to be a gooder spot.

the gooder link > http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

excuse me please, i hear a plate of biscuits and gravy calling me.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:31:25 AM by sniper »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 03, 2011, 08:36:27 AM »
Oh yeah, thanks!  I did save the Till site before.  I'm just not experienced with it yet.

Printed out the routing diagram, I'm gonna make a template for your bass and future use.

Back with some pics of the logo install.

Biscuits and gravy!?!  Man, I'd kill for something like that for breakfast.  I had honeydew melon to make up for all of the food and booze at the wedding yesterday!!!   :toast:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2011, 08:48:34 AM »
I wouldn't take the Till app as gospel. It can be helpful in general to show what happens when you move a pickup around, but it makes a certain set of assumptions about the frequency response of the pickup that may be quite a bit different from the pickup you're using.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2011, 09:04:11 AM »
I wouldn't take the Till app as gospel. It can be helpful in general to show what happens when you move a pickup around, but it makes a certain set of assumptions about the frequency response of the pickup that may be quite a bit different from the pickup you're using.

A+ Dave. it is the nature of an instrument for freq changes to occur.

it took me awhile to figure the app out (longer than i want to admit anyways) but, the key to getting a "general" idea about pup placement with it is: try to locate the pup where the "bumps" are larger and do not "dip" as muck as possible on the fretboard and getting the pup at the top of one of the "bumps" before the epihany came to me to try and do both.

as for the placement, it might change Dave. looking at the photo, it appears that on a line projection, the strings might come too close to the edge of the fretboard in order to cut the poles on center with the present placement. Bill is checking it out today. there are a number of things besides the app to consider.

of course that board might still need to be narrowed a bit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:32:07 AM by sniper »