Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106921 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2011, 07:56:07 PM »
just looking at picture number 1 of your last three pictures, i get a feeling of how easy it would be to sand the finish off of the neck where it meets the pocket (or what ever your drawing dictates), glue it in deep enough so that the top of the neck fret surface meets and is even the body top where they meet keeping the three degree neck angle, then enlarge and dowl the four screw holes through the neck and into the body while the fretboard is off.  8)

that neck wood is old and is not going to warp. dowling would make it solid and a tone monster. if you have already bought the inserts for attaching a bolt on neck then use three of them to attach the bridge. if i have to send the Warwick bridge as we talked about or the Schaller with the Hipshot tailpiece (i can find another 460, media blast it and have it powder coated black, Hipshot makes tailpieces in black) then so be it. you can still use the inserts to attach the tailpiece in either situation.

throw that black neck plate in the case with the other extra parts or in your parts bin.

this is happiness.  ;D

look at your drawing and tell me which bridge to send if the Schaller 463 won't work. i believe in your work and that jigs capabilities!!!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 14, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
Thanks for the compliments and praise CW, I appreciate it.  No problem gluing and doweling the neck.  Easy enough to do really, actually easier than messing with the screws and inserts, yada., yada, yada.  I don't think we'll need another bridge, the Schaller roller should still be fine.  The specs really don't need to change to glue her in, especially with dowels added.

We're good to go.  I have to teach the next two nights and will get back at it later this week.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2011, 07:49:24 AM »
FINALLY got back in the shop today.  I've finished the neck angle jig, at last!!!!!!  I made a couple improvements, like a sliding rail for the bottom end so I can just use pre-cut shims to block it up and tighten it down with the knobs and embedded carriage bolts.  And another improvement, I cut view holes in each end so I could see my center lines from the end not only above.

I'm off to the barn to cut my shims from baltic birch (1" to 1.5" and in between) to get my 2 to 3 degree angles.  I have to keep my super dusty table saw out there.  Makes for "cool" cutting in the winter around here!  We're cooking now!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:40:23 PM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 20, 2011, 09:27:50 AM »
OK, got the shims cut and used my new little angle meter to set the slats.  We'll cut a test "body" and then the real thing.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 20, 2011, 12:05:19 PM »
looking good Bill. my computer is down so i have to check online when i can on my neighbors computer. nice work on the jig.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 20, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »
It worked!  With a minor problem.......my router bit isn't quite long enough and the diameter is too small.  So, I'll pick up a longer/larger bit tomorrow and I should be set.  The test shows perfect edges and angle but, the radius on the corners is too small.  We'll fix that tomorrow.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2011, 07:25:32 AM »
The improved jig look good.

As you said, that's just a minor problem. Buy the bit and you won't have the problem again. And from here on out, whenever you want a new bit, just build a new jig to justify it.  :)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »
The improved jig look good.

As you said, that's just a minor problem. Buy the bit and you won't have the problem again. And from here on out, whenever you want a new bit, just build a new jig to justify it.  :)

Which comes first?  The bit or the jig?  Chicken or egg?

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2011, 05:32:45 AM »
Bit. Because once you  build the jig,& the bit no fit,you get to buy another.The one with the most bits wins! Does not work the same for clamps ,however. :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2011, 01:22:02 PM »
Bit. Because once you  build the jig,& the bit no fit,you get to buy another.The one with the most bits wins! Does not work the same for clamps ,however. :mrgreen:

Good point! Now, I think I can compete when it comes to clamps!!!!!!  :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
I promised my gimpy wife I'd clean house for a couple hours so she'll let me back into my shop later today............ :-\

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 26, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »
good man :rolleyes: :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2011, 07:44:47 PM »
Yep, it worked nice, but I couldn't get the neck pocket routed because the damn router bit is too short.  Gonna try to adjust the slats tomorrow, maybe take 1/4 inch or so off the top.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 26, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »
Yep, it worked nice, but I couldn't get the neck pocket routed because the damn router bit is too short.  Gonna try to adjust the slats tomorrow, maybe take 1/4 inch or so off the top.

Things that make ya go "hmmmmmmmmm"

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 26, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
It's always something!!!  :-\