Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106904 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
1/2 "baltic for sure dont worry about the face quality or "face patch" you need stable,not pretty.M
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
1/2 "baltic for sure dont worry about the face quality or "face patch" you need stable,not pretty.M

Thanks Mike!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »
Got the baltic ply, really nice stuff and my local yard sells half and quarter sheets if you don't need full ones.  I'll post some pics soon with the jig, it's just about finished.  You'll like the results, I did a couple upgrades with some Rockler hardware!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
Here's the latest. Tomorrow I'll plane and drill the slats then I can work on the neck pocket.  The baltic birch is really nice stuff.  Thanks for the advice guys!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2011, 04:48:58 PM »
nice jiggem up!

i have been playing with the till.com applet (http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/) and with the scale coming in at 32.25 to 32.375 an 8" or halfway pup location between the 12th fret and the bridge saddle on "E" should cover it quite nicely. how would this location work for you? i am trying to miss the bow reinforcement block up by the neck you laid inside!

a friend of mine laid a re-dark star Hagstrom pup out of a Starfire 2 bass that had gone through a flood (all the wood seperated on the SF2!) in his Peavey Fury and loved the sound. he said it had plenty of "mud". i know his pup fluked about 13 and have no idea what the DS2 flukes at. wish i bought that multimeter on sale at NAPA today while i was picking up parts for my old van!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54:40 PM »
Nice work on that jig!

When you have some time, you should put it up in the home made tools sticky above, with some more details.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 12, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »
Don't worry about the butterfly.  I think it's deep and wide enough that it will be fine, even if I rout into it a bit.  With a fully glued top and back, I don't think the center joint is going anywhere!

As for the pup placement, it's your call.  8" sounds good, I'll lay it out and post some pics.  Gotta do the pocket this weekend in between nursing the better half!

nice jiggem up!

i have been playing with the till.com applet (http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/) and with the scale coming in at 32.25 to 32.375 an 8" or halfway pup location between the 12th fret and the bridge saddle on "E" should cover it quite nicely. how would this location work for you? i am trying to miss the bow reinforcement block up by the neck you laid inside!

a friend of mine laid a re-dark star Hagstrom pup out of a Starfire 2 bass that had gone through a flood (all the wood seperated on the SF2!) in his Peavey Fury and loved the sound. he said it had plenty of "mud". i know his pup fluked about 13 and have no idea what the DS2 flukes at. wish i bought that multimeter on sale at NAPA today while i was picking up parts for my old van!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 12, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »
Nice work on that jig!

When you have some time, you should put it up in the home made tools sticky above, with some more details.

Will do Dave.  Thanks!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:23 AM »
U gonna luv the t tracks & Baltic,me thinks :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
U gonna luv the t tracks & Baltic,me thinks :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, the tracks are so easy to use and the baltic is straight as an arrow.  A lot better than messing with clamps (of course I don't have enough of them!).  I laminated a .75 and .50 piece together and it's solid.  I'm gonna use some of the remaining .75 for risers for thinner bodies on the jig.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:52 AM »
U gonna luv the t tracks ....

shhhhhh, don't encourage him or the next time we see pics of the tracks he will have 42 clamps per side!!!
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 12, 2011, 11:01:49 AM »

(Sorry... thought you said the Cramps...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #282 on: March 12, 2011, 11:55:04 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't....The Craw?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
OK, I finally got the jig about finished.  I recut the top edge pieces to be more precise and reinstalled the inserts that I buggerred up the first time.  All I have left to do is put my 1/8" marking on the tops and finished the riser and I'll be ready to try it out.  Sniper's bass won't be the first victim however!  Some sad scrap of lumber will have that honor.

It's taken a long time, but I recut several pieces that I wasn't happy with as the thing has to be symmetric and true.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
that looks really cool Bill. just mount the pup on the jig and send it as is, clamp and all. betcha won't be any neck dive on that puppy for sure!

in looking at the bass mocked up in the jig i realize it is not going to be a very long bass and should have good upper fret access i can almost guess just eye balling it.

i have read about precision hand woodworking but have never realized the scope of it until i looked at these pictures. i am in awe.