Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106906 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
the medallion looks amazing. how do you fill in the gaps between the logo and the routing? i cannot tell by looking at the finished picture vs the one where you just did the routing that it is the same wood piece. do you put sawdust in the epoxy?

I use the Behlens filler powder.  They make a nice ebony and rosewood that mixes nicely with epoxy.  I'm also collecting and saving dust from fingerboard routing to experiment with that.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
I put a pressure regulator and filter in the output line from my compressor with quick disconnects so I can get them out of the circuit for normal use.  Bought a $30 detail gun from Home Depot for spraying lacquer and it worked fine.  Still learning how to adjust the nozzle - I left a rather rough finish that required a lot of sanding on the body I sprayed with it.  I also was able to use the pressure regulator to set the air pressure low enough for my air brush.

A detail gun has a smaller canister than a full spray gun, but there's plenty of capacity for an instrument. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
I put a pressure regulator and filter in the output line from my compressor with quick disconnects so I can get them out of the circuit for normal use.  Bought a $30 detail gun from Home Depot for spraying lacquer and it worked fine.  Still learning how to adjust the nozzle - I left a rather rough finish that required a lot of sanding on the body I sprayed with it.  I also was able to use the pressure regulator to set the air pressure low enough for my air brush.

A detail gun has a smaller canister than a full spray gun, but there's plenty of capacity for an instrument. 

Rough finish comes from too dry an application of paint, possibly too much thinner causing paint to dry before it flows out or improper air pressure not allowing proper atomization of the paint.

Paint some scrap applying paint to the point of running to get an idea of how 'wet' to apply it.  A detail gun will work but not as well as a full size gun that puts out a 5 to 7 inch wide band of paint.  I'm spraying at 20-25 psi at the gun using overlapping wet coats.  A $30 Harbor Freight siphon gun is much better choice than a $30 Home Depot gun IMO.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #183 on: February 02, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
Thanks!  I think the siphon gun would also be less work to clean.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
I routed the butterflies tonight.  I'll install them next then the top.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2011, 06:57:56 AM »
amazing!!!

this bass should be excellent for whichever one of my grandchildren gets it after i am well gone.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:24:35 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »
amazing!!!

this bass should be excellent for whichever one of my grandchildren gets it after i am well gone.

I hope so!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 04, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »
Made a butterfly template and cut them out of solid hard rock maple on the router table.  Installed and drying.  The top is next!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:59 AM »
i had one of my first dreams about this build late this morning ... i think it was brought on by the burrito i had at 4:00 AM after i fixed my paypal account. man food while the g/f is away.

don't think i am awake all the way as i:
1) started to load a ciggy (i load my own as the smoke is really mild - a pipe blend)
2) looked at these pictures
3) loaded the machine that loads my prerolled filter tubes
4) lit the empty tube i was holding in my mouth immediatly while looking at these pics
5) smoked the worlds fastest burning ciggy barely saving my moustache
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:54:49 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 04, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
You gotta watch those burritos, man!  They can haunt you for days!  Glad you saved the moustache.  I wouldn't want to be seen in public without mine.   :vader:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:05:45 AM by drbassman »

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 04, 2011, 08:56:30 AM »
i sort of felt like Lucille Ball setting my nose on fire (which was an accident they decided to keep after filming the event).

i almost wanted to say lets make an EB3 out of it yesterday after getting this pic from Curt but i resisted the urge:

his take on remaking the late model choke. he has had my wiring loom for 6 months but it took forever to find the correct bobbins. now it is possible to get all the components at one source to remake an EB3 or early Ripper wiring loom complete or perhaps have him make one for a project.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:14:57 AM by sniper »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 04, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
Wow, I saw that.  Very cool, especially for fixing a vintage restoration.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2011, 05:49:41 PM »
Here ya go CW.  All routed for wiring and top glued on.  I always glue things upside down so the glue doesn't run all over the sides of the bass.

Clamps galore!!!!!!!!!!!   :o

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2011, 05:52:59 PM »
Looking good Doc! ;D

But, seriously, you are slipping!  I think you might have been able to sqeeze in a couple of more clamps if you had really tried ;)

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
nicely done Doc! this has turned into a very good day:

top is on the build,
sold about 355$ of stuff on the bay
and
gathered enough "Junque" to assemble a '71 mudbucker for rebuilding. (think i'll swap the cover for a nice one off my Epi!! and MOJO the old "phone" out a bit!)

i think there was about 5-6 sources of parts for the whole pickup asembly, lol. i don't think all 4 screws even came from the same place!

i'm kinda digging that color contrast on the sides.

izzat my neck in the background?

don't overdo that wrist!!!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:44:49 PM by sniper »