Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106908 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »
are the number stamps too tall?

Nope, they are about 1mm shorter than a 60's era Gibson, so no really noticeable difference.  They should work fine.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 04, 2011, 07:11:37 PM »
one set of black Gotoh tuners is being shipped, they are a "Cosmo Black Chrome" more like the chrome on the pup surround than the bridge.

let me know when they get there Dr.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2011, 05:58:52 AM »
Will do!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »
Back in the shop again finally after 2 weeks off.  Had a great time with the family, but missed the smell of cut wood!!!   Here's the first pass with the router.  Went 1/2" deep for the first time.  The template is working good and I'll keep it for future LP builds!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:46 PM »
thats amazing. when the chambering is done how deep will it go before putting on the top cap? i know the back cap is about 1/4" thick. how thick will the top cap be?

i'll bet thats going to mellow that Ash.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 04:26:28 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
thats amazing. when the chambering is done how deep will it go before putting on the top cap? i know the back cap is about 1/4" thick. how thick will the top cap be?

i'll bet thats going to mellow that Ash.

Yeah, the ash will definitely be toned down a bit and that nice hollow sound should be pretty cool.  I'm planning on making the top 5/16" before gluing it on.  The splatted maple is light and not as strong as regular maple, so I want it a bit thicker.  as for depth of the chamber, I'm going to go down to about 3/4" and see how it looks and how much it weighs before going further.  The control area will be a little shallower, as we discussed before.  I'll have a template of the control panel ready soon too for your input.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02:38 PM »
Here's my mock up of the control panel, ala LP Triumph.  It's 5" wide and this size seems good; not too small, not too big.  Let me know what you think.

PS: the tuners arrived today!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:09:04 PM by drbassman »

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
it's looking super Bill. that control template is perfect.

i think it will look very righteous with the black pup, the black bridge on it and i'm digging those black Ebony knobs. it won't look too busy and the trim will compliment the spalting.

glad the tuners got there, they were not expensive but are a good brand for what i paid for them and they should not be too heavy.

when it comes to mounting those pots and knobs, could you make a little, balanced (same looking) groove in the panel and dab a bit of white paint in the grooves for both knobs to reference zero wth those dots on the knobs? say about 9:00 oclock?

and and and i know i didn't explain it very good but could you label the knobs to say 1) twist this to get all the chicks to want to have my baby and 2) twist this one to look 40 pounds lighter and grow hair again?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:09:57 PM by sniper dog »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
it's looking super Bill. that control template is perfect.

i think it will look very righteous with the black pup, the black bridge on it and i'm digging those black Ebony knobs. it won't look too busy and the trim will compliment the spalting.

glad the tuners got there, they were not expensive but are a good brand for what i paid for them and they should not be too heavy.

when it comes to mounting those pots and knobs, could you make a little, balanced (same looking) groove in the panel and dab a bit of white paint in the grooves for both knobs to reference zero wth those dots on the knobs? say about 9:00 oclock?

and and and i know i didn't explain it very good but could you label the knobs to say 1) twist this to get all the chicks to want to have my baby and 2) twist this one to look 40 pounds lighter and grow hair again?

Well, I can label those knobs, but they'll have to come with a disclaimer!  Miracles not guarenteed.   ;D  Actually, I have an idea for the markers on the control panel.  I have a bag of 2mm pearl dots.  Could I inlay a couple of those instead of lines?  I'm not a fan of paint, but I'll do whatever you like.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:55:16 AM by drbassman »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2011, 07:53:18 AM »
Coming along nicely...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:08 AM »
;D  Actually, I have an idea for the markers on the control panel.  I have a bag of 2mm pearl dots.  Could I inlay a couple of those instead of lines?

that would be super!!!!!!!!!!! yesssssssss by all means.

i am actually liking those worm holes.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
that would be super!!!!!!!!!!! yesssssssss by all means.

i am actually liking those worm holes.

OK, pearl dots it is!  Yeah, the roughness of the top is growing on me, too.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »
I finished the chambers this morning.  3/4" deep on the main sections, 1/2" under the control area.  That should leave enough room for the pots, however I just realized the jack requires a lot more depth!  Duh!  Might just drill out a deeper inset hole for that with a forstner bit.

She weighs in at 4.5 lbs. without the top, and 5.75 with top.  I'm liking that weight, so I may not take as much off the top as I had planned.  I think it's better if it's closer to 3/8" thick rather than 5/16".

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
Coming along nicely...

Thanks Kenny.  How are your projects coming these days?  Weather holding out for you?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2011, 09:00:17 AM »
Stalled and still in the shed... Bit like the Petr Cook rebuild last time... weather has been fair, excluding the unseasonal pre Christmas dump of snow... just damp, damp, and more damp... that combined with too may things on the go at once, as usual... ;)

Oh yeah... I had to do a doubletake with that pic of your scales... I only saw the Kg range at first... :o ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...