Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106933 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
Very nice...

Have I missed anything re the final fin yet...?

not yet you haven't. i am getting two quotes on a fin though. basically a form of the red/yellow burst drbassman posted above but change the red to green, the black sides to very dark BRG with only the top false binding. school of thought is still out on a yellow center burst to go with the green on top. i am leaning towards leaving it natural vs yellowed center or an all natural top. the back will be filled dark with a green tint to the filler/stain and show the Walnut grain in the center with the black from the sides faded out along the edges of the back.

the neck will remain natural Maple and is presently finished in poly that will be polished to try to remove some scratches that are present.

the pup will go towards the neck with respect to aligning with the strings (2.03" DS2 pole spacing trimmed in black chrome) and the trim goodies will be all black with the exception of some TEMP chrome tuners that will be replaced with black Grovers after i get it back.

black neck plate with Vol Tone Jack, Ebony knobs, black Ebony cover control on the front, black Schaller bridge, a long black dyed Rosewood thumb rest on the bass side going from the pup to the brass bridge cover. probably an Ebony riser under the DS2. Rosewood fretboard with medium jumbo frets.

Walnut back, Ash center section with the spalted Maple top cap and the Ash chambered from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock and 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock with respect to the center piece for sound, 1.5 inches thick over all.

the wiring loom is an original EBO refugee.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:28:34 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2010, 11:06:23 AM »
A little digging found this...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2010, 11:25:08 AM »
damn, drool
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »
Very nice...

Have I missed anything re the final fin yet...?

No final decisions yet on the finish.  Looking into a couple options.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
No final decisions yet on the finish.  Looking into a couple options.

how about showing us a shot of that vac press?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2010, 01:05:37 PM »
how about showing us a shot of that vac press?

Yeah!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »
Closing down the shop for family stuff.  Thanksgiving starts early around our household!  I'll get back to it next week.  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  You folks across the pond too.  Have a wonderful week!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2010, 07:55:13 AM »
i am going to Sacramento before Christmas and might be there till March. i will be offline for awhile but we have numbers so that is good.

could you print/make a small logo, put it on towards the end the headstock then clear it over? it might take a little buffing to rub some minor scratches off the present headstock. it would have to be white or MOP to show on that black.

(edit)

P.S. i got two Schaller 460 bridges on that auction last night i was watching ... one gold one less studs and a chrome one that needs a tailpiece and studs but has all the saddless. i think the chromey is going on my 59 EB3/LP Jr double cut project. i'll sell the gold one to recoup my money. i got those violin tuners off Baz for the 59 but am having second thoughts about having a violin headstock. (this next one is going to be a marriage of a lot of changes in Gibby designs of 1959 through 1977)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2010, 08:11:20 AM »
i am going to Sacramento before Christmas and might be there till March. i will be offline for awhile but we have numbers so that is good.

could you print/make a small logo, put it on towards the end the headstock then clear it over? it might take a little buffing to rub some minor scratches off the present headstock. it would have to be white or MOP to show on that black.

(edit)

P.S. i got two Schaller 460 bridges on that auction last night i was watching ... one gold one less studs and a chrome one that needs a tailpiece and studs but has all the saddless. i think the chromey is going on my 59 EB3/LP Jr double cut project. i'll sell the gold one to recoup my money. i got those violin tuners off Baz for the 59 but am having second thoughts about having a violin headstock. (this next one is going to be a marriage of a lot of changes in Gibby designs of 1959 through 1977)

Sounds good.  I'll see what I can do.  I think it could go on the top as long as it isn't too big.

That bridge sounds nice.  I'm not too sure about the violin tuners, never dealt with them before.

Have a good trip!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
I like green but that LP is FUGLY! :mrgreen:
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
Here's my template I'm working on for routing the center piece and edges.  The outer edges are 1" wide and the middle is 4".  I darkened the areas I think should be routed.  What do ya think?

Now, we could make the center narrower if you like sniper as long as it widens at the top for the neck heel and at the bottom for the bridge.  Since the top will end up at least 1/4" thick, the pup will mount nicely in that without any problem.  Think of an hourglass (sort of) shape.  Of course, we don't want to take too much out and create neck dive problems, so it is a bit of a crap shoot!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 07:14:32 PM »
hmmmm, looks good to me. if we take too much out and it neck dives like a bull moose then we can always melt wheel weight lead into a cavity under the bridge. the only concern i had was shielding the control cavity and the pup.

the neck pocket looks great as does the width of the center piece. if you want to dog-bone the center then go for it. the top should be plenty thick enough to mount a pup onto. i know it balances now and however much you take out, it still has a Maple top to go on so i think we will be good on having the neck diving covered.

jack on the top surface please and the control cover a smaller but same shaped version of the LP Triumph piece.

i listed the gold bridge for sale and the split headstock tuners i sold to Rick Mullen for an EBO-L he is restoring. here is the link for the stamp:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230560672935

P.S. i got some nice 3/4" thick x 48" long x 8" wide curly Maple to go with that 48" Mahogany i have so now i am wondering what to do with that 6' x 8" x 1" Mahog i got in. maybe a case for my Jag bass?

now i'm jonesing for March to roll around!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 11:38:30 AM by sniper dog »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2010, 10:21:34 AM »
I made the guy with the USA stamp a $20 offer and he took it.  So, got one on the way.  Thanks for the heads-up.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2010, 06:41:50 AM »
are the number stamps too tall?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »
are the number stamps too tall?

I don't think so.  When I have a minute, I'll compare them to a Gibson serial number.  Thanks again!