Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106932 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »
Nothing can resist your clamping force, Doc! :D

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!   :vader:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
That's the beauty of building from scratch, you can avoid curves if you do this before cutting the body out.

i have to apologize for sending that POS body Doc but i see you have repaired it nicely. thank you.

I'm thinking any color you like would be good.  Something trans to show off the splatting is a good idea.  The back and sides idea sounds good also.

I love this look.............

this layout just blows me away. we need to talk about a finishing. i know it was not negotiated in the build price so i will try to call later this or next week. respecting your upcoming anniversary of course. congrats.

the pup placement i just ran through Tillman's app with a 32" scale and 8" seems to work fine for pole placement. do we have enough room for 8"? that would be about slammed all the way to the neck. i had slammed a Star Fire pup against the neck in another build. i never played it but got great reports on the sound from the builder. it was a gift to a young man who got his sh_t together for his mom. oddly enough it had the same neck i sent you.

wish i had two more of those necks. they are like a lighter Jazz "A" neck.

http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

just a thinking.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:41:21 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
That's the beauty of building from scratch, you can avoid curves if you do this before cutting the body out.

True, but I have been doing a lot of builds that only have binding on the body wings, not on the neck portion of the body (the butt end). So I have to shape both wings first, install the binding and then glue them to the neck.

And on a neck-through-body construction is easier to shape the body wings before gluing to the neck.
On my first neck-through I glued the wings before shaping and it was quite a workout to shape the body afterwards with the completed neck atached to it!

From the second neck-through I started to do partial shaping before and use properly shaped cauls to glue the wings to the neck, and that is how I do it nowadays.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:33:55 PM by Daniel_J »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 07:33:18 PM »
Wow, that SG turned out great.

Yeah, give me a call next week CW.

Cool set up Daniel.  I see your point about basses with wings.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2010, 06:14:11 AM »
Here's the "racing stripe."

Next on the list is installation of the walnut back and routing of the cavities.  Oh yeah, and planing off the fret board.  Next week will be fun!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 10:22:13 AM »

Next on the list is installation of the walnut back and routing of the cavities.  Oh yeah, and planing off the fret board.  Next week will be fun!

i had better get off my duff and send those last parts then.

2 1/2 to three degrees on the neck/body angle please!

golly i hope that vintage EBO loom is okay.

just for grins and giggles better make a tracing of that head. the gears are winding on a build with this single hunk of Mahogany i have laying around:

with a set of these Charlie Christian pups. i know, they look like "F" pups but that is where the similarity ends:

notice NO pole magnets and big honking alnico magnets behind the poles with 38 ga winding wire wound on really extra deep bobbins. this should go so low that it will make whales horny.

compare them to regular depth P bass pup bobbins:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:37:05 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
looking good Doc.

i had an epiphany this morning on my way to the clinic. it went something like this: "you can't have the builder put a tone switch in that requires a 1 5/8" thick area when the guitar body is only 1 1/2" thick...dum_ss!" ............... soooooooooooo.................. leave the HAS Sound switch out ................ i'll mount it on Mr. Ed's saddle horn after you send it back with the bass or i'll sell it to some cowboy and tell him as long as he uses this on his saddle, he is good for at least 8 seconds. that pup is a full range pup and with slamming it closer to the neck and body chambering it should have enough Mud to send a Fender back to it's momma asking to be changed into a banjo.

been a thimpkin again................maybe i'll tint it Apple Green to show off that spalting (which i would think would stay deep brown or black) and have a clear nailed/sprayed/dipped on top of that with the back just masked off and grain filled/stained dark then a clear on top of that, leaving the neck clear as it is now with a little buffing with some 4 ought steel wool. should look righteous with all that Black Ebony/Black Walnut/black or dark brown spalting lines and black trim goodness.

gimme some opinions here players!!!

I forgot to tell you I got the message on the switch.  You're correct, so I'll save it and send it back to you.  We'll see how the harness works when we get to that stage.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2010, 12:48:42 PM »
I am curious about those Curtis Novak pups, I have heard they don't have the "all-middy" character of normal pbass pups, but never heard any soundclips.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
never heard of them but they have caught my attention.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
CurtisNovak.com - Pickups and Guitars | 760.820.4434

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:18 PM »
Forgot to mention that I like that hunk of mahogany in your post above.  Is that going to be a Jag bass?

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
Forgot to mention that I like that hunk of mahogany in your post above.  Is that going to be a Jag bass?

errr yeah, eventually

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
Here's the walnut back, all glued up!  Beauty!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
i have been waiting for this picture all day!!! love it. definately a step above the Ash.

CurtisNovak.com - Pickups and Guitars | 760.820.4434

this phone number on Curt's site is no longer working. i know he has a website on facebook and one can communicate with him there.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 09:20:00 PM by sniper dog »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
Very nice...

Have I missed anything re the final fin yet...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...