Author Topic: Thunderbird short scale  (Read 11158 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Thunderbird short scale
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 05:20:17 AM »
This is how you do a ss TB.   8).....................Shame on you Gibson!   :bored:

Except for the bridge I agree.   Don't recognize the logo; one of yours?
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2016, 09:44:47 AM »
Gothbürd (top) and Minibürd (beneath) side by side ...

The Gothbürd's only dif to a rank and file TBird is that its neck is two-ply all-maho, not 9-ply maho/walnut. They probably just made the Gothbürds on the cheap hence the more simple neck construction (which doesn't really noticeably affect sound).

The Minibürd is a fine short scale, but, let's be serious, the world needed a short scale TBird like it needs a vegan steak knife. If you get a TBird, get a real one in the Ray(mond) Dietrich original design sense and that in my book reads:

- reverse body (non-reverse Bürds are ügly dücklings, no matter what some of the resident ornithologists want to tell you, they are bad company),

- (mostly) maho construction,

- long scale and

- neck-thru (which rules most nearly all Japanese imposters out though we have a hearty pocket of Iwo Jima type supporters/resistance here).

The Minibürd only (barely) checks two of the above boxes (it is not only short scale, but also set neck). "Barely" because, if you look closely, its shape has none of the sleek Art Deco elegance of the original, but looks warped in not a good way. It really has none of the grandeur a real TBird has in your hands.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:03:08 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

The Gothbürd's only dif to a rank and file TBird is that its neck is two-ply all-maho, not 9-ply maho/walnut. They probably just made the Gothbürds on the cheap hence the more simple neck construction (which doesn't really noticeably affect sound).

The Minibürd is a fine short scale, but, let's be serious, the world needed a short scale TBird like it needs a vegan steak knife. If you get a TBird, get a real one in the Ray(mond) Dietrich original design sense and that in my book reads:

- reverse body (non-reverse Bürds are ügly dücklings, no matter what some of the resident ornithologists want to tell you, they are bad company),

- long scale and

- neck-thru (which rules most nearly all Japanese imposters out though we have a hearty pocket of Iwo Jima type supporters/resistance here).

The Minibürd only (barely) checks two of the above boxes (it is not only short scale, but also set neck). "Barely" because, if you look closely, its shape has none of the sleek Art Deco elegance of the original, but looks warped in not a good way. It really has none of the grandeur a real TBird has in your hands.

Red, black and white..............We Germans do love those colors  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2016, 10:47:09 AM »

That's his DocBass logo.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 10:51:44 AM »
That's his DocBass logo.

Well good bloody work then.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 12:47:35 PM »
Yep, Gibson did the cheaper satin unfilled finish on the ss TB.  They are nice little basses but I don't see their resale value going up any time soon.  I'd like one for my collection, but wouldn't pay over original retail for one.

I might know of one for sale  ;)

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »

- long scale and

the goth looks interesting Uwe ,does it lose any warmth over a regular t'bird with the ebony board or sound any brighter/snappier?

Thanks for all the info everyone, much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:19:59 PM by Pete-C »

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 08:23:19 PM »

Using this criteria, you also banish the Thunderbird Studio >:(
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 05:27:42 AM »
The Thunderbird Studio is a fine bass, but not a classic Thunderbird!

Does the Goth lose any warmth? Not really. Is it snappier? Perhaps a little, I always thought that was down to the souped TB Plus pups at the time ("new design"), but it might be the board. But weren't in some periods regular TBirds fitted with ebony boards too?

The Goth looks cool, I can say that for it. Not as cheapish as a Blackbird (though I'm a fan of the Blackbird's lean sound, not knocking that bass at all).

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2016, 06:59:17 AM »
The Thunderbird Studio is a fine bass, but not a classic Thunderbird!
So pretty much anything with black hardware is out then - correct??? :vader:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2016, 07:12:18 AM »
Does the Goth lose any warmth? Not really. Is it snappier? Perhaps a little, I always thought that was down to the souped TB Plus pups at the time ("new design"), but it might be the board. But weren't in some periods regular TBirds fitted with ebony boards too?

Yes, I've seen plenty of regular TBirds with ebony boards. Very few in the last 7 or 8 years, though.

:mrgreen:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »

Don't forget the crooked knobs.  :rolleyes:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2016, 11:13:17 AM »

Why would I put a Gibson logo on it?  First, I built it.  Second, my QC is far superior to theirs!  I wouldn't want their logo on it.   :mrgreen:
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »

I'm not even ignoring that.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2016, 01:31:05 PM »

The neck on mine little different; it's a three-ply through-neck.  There's a central mahogany strip of around 7/8" with laminates each side of that.  To be honest, in a live context I don't hear much difference between any of my Thunderbirds, but would say that flat (ie when recording direct) the Gothic is a little fuller tonally...at the end of the day I kind of know what my desired tone is, so I'll just set everything on the bass to 10 and tweak my amplifier to achieve that sound.
The future I come from no longer exists.