Author Topic: Thunderbird short scale  (Read 11157 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird short scale
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 11:09:18 PM »
There you go... never "seen" one... :mrgreen:

(could do better if he tried harder... ;) )
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 07:54:55 AM »
The Blackbird is satin black as well. So was the Gothic Thunderbird I think??

Welcome aboard Pete!!!
Thanks Nokturnal i'll bear that in mind  :)

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 08:00:40 AM »

Used on Ebay you'll see Post 1988 'Birds between 800.00 and maybe 1200.00 for a good White one. White usually fetches a bit more as they disco'd the color a few years back.

Thanks TBird ,think i'll give white a miss after seeing the start price on this!  :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gibson-thunderbird-bass-/262373266969?hash=item3d16aa5619:g:NY0AAOSw5VZXBXLD

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
Thanks TBird ,think i'll give white a miss after seeing the start price on this!  :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/gibson-thunderbird-bass-/262373266969?hash=item3d16aa5619:g:NY0AAOSw5VZXBXLD

Yep, all out of reason, that one.

How are your WWII U.S. Carrier borne fighter aircraft recognition skills? Especially Corsair vs Hellcat?

That's a way inside joke  ;D 

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 10:27:01 AM »
Eli Classic IV Pro - got my whitey used at Sam Ash for $349. Neck-thru, Gibson USA pickups, pretty much like new. I splurged an extra $100 for a hard case.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pete-C

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
Eli Classic IV Pro - got my whitey used at Sam Ash for $349. Neck-thru, Gibson USA pickups, pretty much like new. I splurged an extra $100 for a hard case.

Wow they look great value ...so it's just the hardware ,electrics and quality of the woods used thats different to gibson u.s. Model?

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 11:32:44 AM »
Cheap labor and unfair trade deals.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
The Blackbird is satin black as well. So was the Gothic Thunderbird I think??

Welcome aboard Pete!!!

True, but the Gibson Blackbird isn't exactly a Thunderbird, with the inlays and pickguard markings (not to mention the opti-grab  ;D ). The Epi Blackbird and Goth are bolt-ons and don't have US pickups.

Wow they look great value ...so it's just the hardware ,electrics and quality of the woods used thats different to gibson u.s. Model?

The pickups are US. No reason to think the wood is lesser quality, but I doubt that it's a true mahogany. That's rarely seen in Asian imports. The finish isn't nitrocellulose lacquer like US Gibsons, if that's important to you. It doesn't mean squat to me.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »
True, but the Gibson Blackbird isn't exactly a Thunderbird, with the inlays and pickguard markings (not to mention the opti-grab  ;D ). The Epi Blackbird and Goth are bolt-ons and don't have US pickups.

Remember there was a Gibson Gothic Thunderbird; I've got one and I know Uwe has one.  I believe they didn't manage to sell that many globally (150?) and unsold models were sent back to Nashville and retooled to become Blackbirds; I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.
P
The future I come from no longer exists.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 03:10:37 PM »
How are your WWII U.S. Carrier borne fighter aircraft recognition skills? Especially Corsair vs Hellcat?

Et tu Veronica...? :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »
Yep, Gibson did the cheaper satin unfilled finish on the ss TB.  They are nice little basses but I don't see their resale value going up any time soon.  I'd like one for my collection, but wouldn't pay over original retail for one.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
Et tu Veronica...? :mrgreen:

To be fair Kenny, I'd struggle I.D.ing Royal Navy Carrier borne aircraft - those that weren't U.S. planes.........

Plus you get live in Scotland, that rules!   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »
This is how you do a ss TB.   8).....................Shame on you Gibson!   :bored:

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 10:54:05 PM »
To be fair Kenny, I'd struggle I.D.ing Royal Navy Carrier borne aircraft - those that weren't U.S. planes...

I'd probably struggle with some of the stuff we used in those days, but as for proximity to a dram... :toast:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 04:52:38 AM »

To be fair Kenny, I'd struggle I.D.ing Royal Navy Carrier borne aircraft - those that weren't U.S. planes.........

I agree.  Living in Scotland is about as cool as it gets. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal