Author Topic: Full tube amp?  (Read 8911 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Full tube amp?
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:59:21 AM »
I'm thinking I'd like to try a full tube amp on down the road.  I love the sound of my Mesa Walkabout, with just a tube pre-amp.  As a youth, I naturally only played through full-tube amps (Ampeg).  Thought it might be fun to try again.  Been searching around for something reasonable and entry level.  Any suggestions?  I found the EBS line and Bugera.  Anyone know anything about these buggers?  Unlike Mark, I did like the tone of the new Bassman 100T at the full 100 watt setting, but the price is up there.  Just wondering what you guys think.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:23:48 AM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Full tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 05:17:28 AM »
I see a 70's MusicMan amp that looks nice.  Anyone have experience with one of these?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »
 Bill, You can't go wrong with a old MM amp much like a Bassman but a little beefier. A Ampeg V4B would be a great choice as would a B-25B.  I rehearse with a B-25B, perfect for a small room I bet it would fill your needs nicely. He's my Ampeg B-25B with matching 2x15 cab.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:59:17 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:47:54 AM »
I knew you'd chime in.  I thought the MM amp looked pretty good.  At least we've got good folks around here to help us maintain these things!  Thanks for all of the possibilities.  I'll look into them too.

You think 25 - 50 watts would be enough for my little bar venue?  I'm keeping my 300 watt Mesa for backup.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:57:53 AM »
 25w might be a little light, 50w would be the lowest I would go, 100w will get the job done with power to spare. Whats the MM rated at? I'm a little hazy on the models.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:11 AM »
OK, dollar for dollar, the MM looks great.  More watts per buck than the other vintage/new tube amps.  Gonna do it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:43:18 AM »
 :thumbsup:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »
Whoa there! MusicMan amps were not full tube amps. They had solid state preamps and tube output sections.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 06:53:51 AM »
Whoa there! MusicMan amps were not full tube amps. They had solid state preamps and tube output sections.

Well, it might be in the wiring/schematic, but this looks like tube power and pre-amp to me (I know, I don't know what I'm talking about, but it won't be the first time!)

Here's the specs posted by the seller:

All Tube Operation (1 x 12ax7 / 4 x Telefunken EL34)
A LOUD 130 Watt RMS output at a switchable 4 or 8 ohms
Standby Switch
Ground Switch
Dual Hi/Lo Power Operation (65w/130w)
Normal Channel Features: Dual Inputs, Bright/Normal Switch, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass
Bass Channel Features: Dual Inputs, Bright/Normal Switch, Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Master, Deep/Normal Switch
Sturdy Housing
Grounded Electrical Outlet
3-Prong Power Cord
Made in Anaheim, California, USA

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 07:05:02 AM »
I was just about to chime in on that Dave. The preamp was SS, some had a 12AX7 as a driver, and then (depending on the year) either 6CA7 or 6L6 power tubes. There were some full solid state amps in the line as well.
Doc, how much do you want to spend on this endeavor?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:18 AM »
Yep, I read that the newer MM models had the transistor driver, but this one has the 12ax7.  I wanted to keep it under $600 and this one works out.  I'm gonna give it a shot.  It can't sound any worse than my Mesa with tube pre-amp and SS power unit.  If it doesn't work out, I can always try something else.  It's a big market out there and I'm a fickle bass player!   ;D  I really want an Ampeg B-15 (what I had as a kid), but I'm just not gonna spend that kind of money.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 07:14:29 AM by drbassman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 07:16:37 AM »
Go for it, then. They do sound good, IMHO, better than a SS power section.

I only responded because you said you wanted a full tube amp. These have one driver tube in an otherwise SS preamp, that's not a full tube amp.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 07:31:23 AM »
Go for it, then. They do sound good, IMHO, better than a SS power section.

I only responded because you said you wanted a full tube amp. These have one driver tube in an otherwise SS preamp, that's not a full tube amp.

Figures!  There's always a catch.  Should be fun though to play around with.  I don't feel hosed by the price or the specs.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »
It is funny how things change for me.  Before I got the Mesa Scout Walkabout with 15" ext cab, I had the SS Ampeg SVT Pro something or other (can't remember the exact model) with a 2x15" cab.  It had a lot of volume, but the tone was NEVER what I expected or wanted.  Fart, fart, fart.  I was constantly disappointed with its sound/tone. 

I went to the Mesa and it was a world of improvement.  I really wanted the Mesa M-Pulse 600, but it was way overpriced, but it has a kickbutt sound.  So, anyhow, this will be the next step for me.  If I get hooked, who knows what crazy thing I might buy next?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:03 AM »
...So, anyhow, this will be the next step for me.  If I get hooked, who knows what crazy thing I might buy next?

:popcorn:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."