Author Topic: Going to add a cabinet  (Read 8921 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Going to add a cabinet
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2013, 07:53:24 AM »
The custom 8" drivers proved too expensive once cabinet production left the US. After they used up existing stock, Fender (who owns SWR) quit building them. My experience with them mirrors Dave's, though for me that was not necessarily a negative. I LOVED doing PA/TV for bands using them because the bass sound rarely did anything unwanted outside of rattling snares. Most players were surprised at that I generally never told them to turn down and sometimes, to turn UP. They wouldn't work for me, but for others who liked them, I can see the appeal.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2013, 07:56:45 AM »
True, but the builder is the local "go to" amp/speaker tech in the region, so his knowledge and skill has been confirmed a lot over the last couple decades.  He hand builds his guitar/bass amps and cabs and people buy/love em.  I just just coudn't get the 4x10 to work for me.  Not a big deal.

...just don't expect every 4x10 to perform like that. I have an Acme Low B that will re-arrange your guts and two Gibson GB-410's that have very little low end (they're the forerunners of the SWR Goliath).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:50 AM »
I never imagined that every 4x10 cab sounds like every other one.  There are so many variables in the design and execution of such, I know that no two brands/models are alike.  There's a lot of hit and miss in finding something that works for oneself.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!