Author Topic: Blinging Victory Standard!  (Read 571 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Blinging Victory Standard!
« on: December 24, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121525918061

I've never seen a gold one with matching neck before.  Black, sure, but never gold, and never this golden either.  Is it as the factory intended?  Date stamp looks too crisp for a refin, to me anyway.  Usual Gibson anomalies (brass nut on a Standard for instance).

Looks lovely, apart from the weirdness in the bottom cutaway/neck pocket area.  Just never seen one this radiantly gold before.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

veebass

• View Profile
Re: Blinging Victory Standard!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 02:29:49 AM »
There's been a gold one for sale for ages in Australia- not sure if it is refin or not either.
The tuners on the one on eBay are different to those on my Victorys.

http://www.ricsvintageguitars.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=55

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »
I recall seeing some Vics with matching neck fins.  I think it was the rarer colours (or mostly the Artist/Custom models). The one I lusted after was all black with matching neck; so sexy.  That said, I have never seen or heard of gold as a factory colour option before (though it is possible it is faded silvergreen in weird lighting).

Those tuners in the OP auction look right to me; old style base with modern keys.  I have also seen them with the modern base (large vs small like on the Triumph)... sorry that's confusing, anyway, both of these are correct depending on what Gibson had laying about at the time (l am not sure if all had the Gibson logo on them... also quite sure they're Schaler, like the bridge, vs Gotoh as per that auction's text):

but not these (same key shape, small modern base):

Even if it is a refin the price is not bad (not great either; top end of fair IMHO)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:02:29 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
Thanks for the info. Both my Victorys- a Standard and an Artist- have the second type of tuner. :)