Author Topic: David Gilmour Solo tour, Highly recomended  (Read 3225 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: David Gilmour Solo tour, Highly recomended
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
Huge Floyd fan here, my fav album is maybe "Animals", strange I know, but I was really connected with this album for some reason. It's almost a punk record! :D Also, their live at Pompeii was out of this world. The main reason I love 'em is because they bring the prog-rock thing to a pop audience, it's the kind of the band that at first sound so simple and silly, but there's alot going on under all this if you start digging.

But that was long ago, these days I can appreaciate Mason's heartthrob drumming, the voice of Gilmour's English blues school guitar playing, Wright's warm keyboards and Water's acerbic wit. While I find a lot of Water's solo work (and I include The Wall with that) as unbearably self-centered and masturbative, Floyd without him degenerated to just a pleasant sound landscape with an excellent guitarist, but without any real lyrical depth and or that Waters edginess which prevented Pink Floyd from becoming the Moody Blues II and kept you on your toes as a listener.

Hey you! Stop stealing my thoughts, will ya? :P :P :P I only don't agree with your thoughts about Waters. Ok, maybe his solo works isn't exactly easy-listening stuff, but I prefer this than Gilmour's pop songs. Also my fav from him is The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hicking, he even managed to make Clapton to sound abit like Gilmour, so cut him some slack!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »
Edith saw Gilmour in Oberhausen, it must have been a spectacular concert. I was gigging myself, life is all about priorities! The new album sounds pleasant.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:12:45 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »
Oh man... Ive been on a binge lately. Singing Starless in the car every day and listening to the Great Deceiver box set.  ;D

The USA album is a good representation of the concert I saw.